Abelardo: “Athletic is a team that I love”


first_imgWill Athletic first come home victory?“Hopefully. It is true that it is strange that in one round the team has not won at home. Tomorrow we have another chance. We will try for now. For now we have added four points and the image has been very good. We hope to maintain the intensity line, of compete and play football well. The situation is what it is and we need results. It’s a very nice game. “Can you play Embarba?“The next 18 can play, but we would be annoyed. Both Cabrera and Embarba participated in their clubs, so I have included them.” Do you see Cabrera on the left side?“In principle the last years he has played as a central. It is a position that he could adopt but his position is that of central.”How does the team get to the game?“It has been a rare, beautiful week but without time to prepare the game. We have not been able to work at a tactical level. Unfortunately, as we are, there will be 18 finals in the face of a dog. We have a very difficult, very intense rival, very difficult to win. They are eighth, is the second team that fits the least. We will try to play from you to you, as against Villarreal. “ What does Athletic expect?“They play with two systems, even three. We will see how the Garitano game raises. They are a team that I love, hyperintense, that circulates the ball very fast, that handles well second plays. They will demand a lot.”Would you rather have a shorter template?“I am happy with what I am, it is not up to me if a player leaves or not. I am happy, I stay with the ones I am delighted. My mission is to plug them in. From here to three or four matches I still go crazy and change at ten. “Is the team in the process of improvement?“I would have signed four points against Barça and Villarreal. We were very good. At the moment in two games the fans have enjoyed. I am very grateful that people are hooked to the team. We need them. We have to feed the desire of the parakeet fan. In these we have infected two games and we have to keep doing it. “Is it very important that the signings be of immediate performance?“Yes, it is very important. It is not the same that these three players who know the League come that three players come from outside. My English is macaroni. There have been three very good additions I am very happy with the work of the sports direction.”last_img read more

Timothy Eatman


first_imgEvan Thompson, head of the Meteorological Service of Jamaica, has sought to defend the credibility of his organisation in light of the threat-level downgrade expected from Hurricane Matthew.The National Hurricane Center, which is based in Miami, Florida, indicated yesterday afternoon that Jamaica was now likely to experience tropical-storm conditions from Matthew.Jamaica was placed under a hurricane warning last Friday, and despite various models suggesting that Matthew was moving east of Jamaica, the authorities kept the country under high alert for impending disaster.”We have never hidden anything that we have been saying, so I believe that our transparency should lead to us being considered to be credible,” Thompson said.Thompson, when asked whether the Met Service could have predicted the shift in the system earlier, said yes.”It was seen to some extent,” he said.Thompson, however, explained that the erratic nature of Matthew and its slower-than-expected approach contributed to the delay in communicating to the public that Jamaica was no longer likely to experience hurricane-force conditions.Up to press time last night, approximately 3,500 Jamaicans had gone to 158 emergency shelters as Hurricane Matthew threatened the country.The hurricane has maintained Category Four status for more than 72 hours and is expected to hit the southwestern Haiti and southeastern Cuba on Tuesday.last_img read more

Strategizing the Way Forward to National Development


first_imgI will begin this article with an excerpt from Rev. Martin Luther King’s “Letter From Birmingham Hail” written on April 16, 1963: “We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and action of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people. Human progress never rolls on wheels of inevitability; it comes through the tireless effort of men willing to be co-workers with God, and without this hard work, time itself becomes an ally of the forces of social stagnation.”As a child growing up in Monrovia, absolutely nothing would have convinced me then that Liberia, a nation with abundance of resources, would today be in a state of underdevelopment and backwardness. Notably, there are two fundamental reasons which account for this pathetic state. The first is the lackadaisical attitude adopted by our policy makers and planners towards implementing policies to positively impact the lives of ordinary Liberians; and the second is the attitude of passivity of ordinary Liberians in advocating for those basic rights and privileges denied them over the years.Irrefutably, achieving national development requires commitment and dedication on the part of both the policy makers and planners, and ordinary Liberians. Obviously, the way forward to national development must be based upon Liberians from diverse backgrounds coming together and reconciling their divergent views and actions.The blunt reality is that words are easily said than done. To embark on a new course, it is imperative we retrospect on Liberia’s past to discover where precisely our missteps occurred during our national existence. The question that naturally springs forth is, were the founding fathers of Liberia prepared to effectively and efficiently manage the nation? The answer is resounding, “No”.Clearly, the administration of Joseph J. Roberts which led Liberia after the nation hastily declared independence on July 26, 1847 felt short of establishing a solid political foundation. Consequently, this created a unique avenue for corruption, nepotism and other vices which are still prevalent in the governance of the nation even up to today.For the benefit of the reader, permit me to reveal an excerpt of a report of conditions in Liberia written by William Nesbit, a black American, who visited Liberia in 1854 during the era of Liberia’s first president Joseph Jenkins Roberts:“And it is humiliating to me to say it, though it must be said, that the majority of them, even including some of his cabinet officers, cannot read and are totally ignorant of the simplest duties belonging to their stations. Every thing is and must be done by the President. He performs the duties of judge, counselor, justice and constable. He receives, disburses, and keeps the accounts, in short, he is the government, the embodiment of Liberia; and when you speak of Liberia, you speak of President Roberts.”The problems in Liberia are aged old, formidable and seem to be defying solution. The case of forging development in Liberia is proving to be a stubborn one owing to the fact that many Liberians have become accustomed to behavior patterns which are counterproductive and anti-developmental. As Martin Luther King rightly stated in his ‘Letter from Birmingham Jail’, “human progress never rolls in on wheels of inevitability.”In other words, development will never be delivered on “Silver Platter”, it will come when Liberians from all walks of life are willing and ready to constructively engage in sacrificial services that put the interests of the nation and its people above the selfish concept of “I, me and myself”. Without the shadow of doubts, most government officials are involved in systematic corruption which had heightened the levels of poverty and misery amongst ordinary Liberians.I definitely do not wish to discredit the Ellen Johnson Sirleaf-led administration, which had made some gains in the areas of health, educations, road construction, etc. but these gains have so little impacted the living standards of ordinary Liberians.No wonder why almost every Liberian, you talk to will not hesitate to express the desires of seeking greener pastures in the U.S.A. or some advanced countries.Many Liberians have simply lost hope and confidence in what the future of their country holds for them.The way forward to national development is certainly not for ordinary Liberians to sit as spectators and leave their destinies in the hands of gluttonous government officials, but rather to play more pivotal roles in shaping or reshaping their destiny. Now is the appropriate time that all Liberians must work tirelessly to ensure that 167-year-old Liberia takes it rightful place amongst the comity of nations.Let me close with these wise words from Martin Luther King’s ‘Letter from Birmingham Jail’: “We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.”About the AuthorJahbulleh C. Dempster is former Co-Chairman for Operations of Saye Town. He is currently the Interim Secretary General of the Union of Liberian Artists. His letters as well as articles, which are usually published in the Daily Observer reflect his ardent desire for socio-economic reforms in the Liberian Society.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Rough weather and travel ahead


first_imgLocal area residents should prepare themselves for what could be very poor, New Year’s Eve travel conditions. A wind chill warning is already in place and periods of snow and likely blowing snow, are forecast, for tonight and tomorrow. So it would appear, if possible, today would be the best day to complete, any New Year travel plans, prior to the weekend.For more on local road conditions visit www.drivebc.ca- Advertisement –last_img

NHL notes: Kings trade Sopel to Vancouver


first_img“I’m very excited, my family is very excited, we never wanted to leave Vancouver in the first place,” Sopel told the Associated Press. “I love the city and I love the team.” The NHL trade deadline arrives at noon today and the Kings, who already parted with Craig Conroy and Sean Avery, might have Aaron Miller’s name on the table but otherwise aren’t likely to make moves. The Capitals sent defenseman Lawrence Nycholat to Ottawa for defenseman Andy Hedlund and a sixth-round draft pick. … Vancouver acquired veteran center Bryan Smolinski from Chicago for a conditional second-round draft pick. “I’m ecstatic about it,” said Smolinski, who is expected to play on a line with Vancouver captain Markus Naslund, a former teammate in Pittsburgh. Smolinski had 37 points in 62games with the Blackhawks this season. … Forward Kyle Calder ended up in Detroit as part of a three-team deal that saw the Philadelphia Flyers acquire defenseman Lasse Kukkonen from Chicago. The Flyers sent Calder to Chicago for a 2007 third-round draft pick and Kukkonen. The Blackhawks then sent Calder to Detroit for forward Jason Williams. Drury still out: Chris Drury will miss Buffalo’s game tonight against Toronto as the Sabres co-captain recovers from a concussion after being blindsided by Ottawa’s Chris Neil last week. Coach Lindy Ruff said that Drury is still a few days away from being cleared for practice. There’s a chance Drury could return when Buffalo hosts Montreal on Friday. Blue Jackets moves: The Columbus Blue Jackets re-signed left wing Fredrik Modin to a multi-year contract and placed forward Dan Fritsche on injured reserve. Fritsche injured his wrist Feb.25 against Nashville. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Sopel broke into the NHL with Vancouver in 1998-99 and spent parts of six seasons with the Canucks before an August 2005 trade to the Islanders. Seven months later, the Islanders shipped Sopel to the Kings for prospects Denis Grebeshkov and Jeff Tambellini and a draft pick. The Kings hoped Sopel, a puck-moving defenseman, would aid their power play, but Sopel had zero goals and one assist in 11 games last season and had four goals and 19assists in 44 games this season. Sopel is under contract for $2.4 million this season and will be a free agent this summer. – Rich Hammond More trades: The New York Islanders acquired winger Richard Zednik from Washington for a second-round draft pick in 2007. Zednik has six goals and 12assists for the Capitals this season. He has also missed 31 games with wrist and groin injuries. … center_img The Kings’ trade for Brent Sopel in March turned out to be a one-year rental. Sopel, acquired from New York Islanders at the trade deadline last season, moved to Vancouver on Monday when the Kings received a second-round draft pick in 2007 or 2008 and a 2008 fourth-round pick for the 30-year-old defenseman. last_img read more

Nitro can go off road but may be too stylish


first_imgAnd I sure wouldn’t want to scuff up the eye-catching Inferno Red Crystal Pearl Coat, either. This is a midsized SUV, a first for Dodge, that’s probably best suited for navigating the suspension-rattling potholes endemic to Los Angeles. There is also enough road clearance for fording those temporary winter streams some of our roads and streets become. And with its flared fenders and high-line styling cues (think a scaled down Hummer or Land Rover), this midsized SUV makes a stylish statement. New for 2007, the truck shares Jeep’s lineage, which shouldn’t be surprising. By Gregory J. Wilcox STAFF WRITER The 2007 Dodge Nitro looks buff enough on the outside for some serious off-roading and is a pussycat on the inside. I don’t know how well-suited for the former the Nitro is because I certainly would not want to get in the dirt with the 20-inch chrome wheels that are standard on the model we tested. “The 2007 Dodge Nitro is going to heat up the midsize SUV market by giving consumers a quality vehicle with masculine good looks, exceptional performance, unsurpassed utility and features that will surprise and delight,” said a statement from George Murphy, senior vice president of global marketing for Chrysler Group. It’s too soon to address the quality issue. But it looks as though the Nitro could live up to some of those other boasts. It’s definitely an eye-pleasing, macho ride. Dodge attributes the masculine appearance to a number of elements. They include the signature Dodge crosshair grille with its three-dimensional ram’s head, those prominent fender flares and good body size. The latter is not overdone, and I could park the Dodge in the family garage without rearranging any of the clutter. (I couldn’t do that with several other test vehicles.) These design elements even carry over to the mirrors and door handles. Designers also pushed the Nitro’s wheels to the corners. This reinforces performance and off-highway capabilities. Drive Time had the R/T 4×4 model with a 4.0 liter, V6 single overhead cam engine. It definitely provides lots of pep and seemed to want to jump away from stoplights and stop signs. There is lots of space inside, too. The rear seats fold down in 60/40 fashion. The leather trimmed seats are comfortable and the cabin featured a six-speaker sound system with a subwoofer and rear seat video system and a gaming system. Nitro features a thick, comfortable four-spoke, leather-wrapped steering wheel and the dash has a three-pod, four-gauge instrument panel. These are black with gray and white graphics and orange pointers. There are many places for stuff, too. The center console has room for hand-held PDAs, cell phones or coins; there are driver- and passenger-side door compartments; and a map pocket behind the driver’s seat. What Dodge calls the Load ‘N Go floor is also new, and you wonder why somebody didn’t think of it before. It’s a sliding rear floor panel that holds up to 400 pounds and makes loading and unloading cargo an easier task. The leather-trimmed seats are comfortable and the cabin also featured a six-speaker sound system with a subwoofer and rear seat video system and a gaming system. In addition to Dodge Nitro R/T, the two other models offered in the U.S. are the Dodge Nitro SXT and Dodge Nitro SLT. And this is a fairly affordable ride. “What might end up surprising people and finally sealing the deal is that it’s a great truck to drive, particularly in an urban setting; that it sports a stylish, roomy and comfortable interior; and that it blows most of the competition away when it comes to power-to-price ratio,” concluded the Web site Automobile.com. Drive Time agrees. greg.wilcox@dailynews.com160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

SWIMMERS BRAVE FREEZING WATERS FOR KILCAR’S NEW YEAR’S DAY SWIM – PIC SPECIAL


first_imgSWIMMERS BRAVE FREEZING WATERS FOR KILCAR’S NEW YEAR’S DAY SWIM – PIC SPECIAL was last modified: January 1st, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:kilcarMuckrossNew Year’s Day Swimlast_img read more

Working for peanuts


first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl eventWith all that extra revenue (plus the $47 million in savings from the mayor’s cost-cutting and efficiency efforts), it seems like there might be a little extra this year. There isn’t. And unless Villaraigosa actually lives up to his promise to get tough with the overindulged City Hall unions and keep the total increase in payroll and benefit costs below the rate of inflation, there won’t be any money to solve the city’s problems next year or anytime soon. As always, Villaraigosa talks a good game, but his budget dance looks a lot like the smoke-and-mirrors deceits of his failed predecessor in the Mayor’s Office. It’s a basic one-two step – revenue goes up, service goes down. The revenue increases get more than absorbed by the costs of payroll and benefits for city staffers. There nothing left for service. Worse, there’s apparently even less, thus a massive hike in trash fees is sought to hire some badly needed cops. Voters are tired of this never-ending tango. It’s time the taxpaying public was treated better than the animals at the zoo. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa’s $6.7 billion spending plan for next fiscal year comes with a promise of little new other than a few more cops on the streets in exchange for a trash-fee hike. The three elephants at the zoo did better, getting $39 million for a new home. What’s shocking about the city budget is that there’s 11 percent more revenue – $600 million more – than the current budget year, thanks to soaring tax revenue. So what new and great programs or services will the public get for its money? Peanuts, really, which the elephants might like, but the human denizens have a right to expect more. last_img read more

The most likely result in every Championship match this weekend


first_img 6 tense latest SORRY Most Popular Premier League News TOP WORK It’s becoming pretty difficult to predict anything in the Championship with all 24 teams proving anyone can’t beat anyone this season.As such, just nine points split top of the table Sheffield United and 14th place Wigan Athletic, which is truly astonishing. revealed Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? Ipswich v Preston North EndIpswich win – 31 per cent chance of happeningPreston win – 40 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 29 per cent chance of happeningNottingham Forest v Sheffield UnitedNottingham Forest win – 30 per cent chance of happeningSheffield United win – 42 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happening 6 6 predicted Can West Brom get a vital win against Hull? getty Birmingham City star Kristian Pedersen beats Sheffield Wednesday’s on loan midfielder Joshua Onomah. Will Jack Butland be celebrating again? 6 changes 6 Tom Carroll in action for Swansea City. Derby County v Birmingham CityDerby win – 45 per cent chance of happeningBirmingham win – 26 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 29 per cent chance of happeningHull City v West Bromwich AlbionHull win – 31 per cent chance of happeningWest Brom win – 42 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 27 per cent chance of happeningcenter_img We love a bit of Football League action here at talkSPORT and you can listen to two matches from the English second tier on our network this weekend.On Friday night you heard Aston Villa’s 2-0 victory over Bolton Wanderers on talkSPORT2, while on Sunday you can listen to live commentary of Wigan Athletic vs Leeds United.The game could easily go both ways, but we wouldn’t like to predict what the outcome will be. Instead we’ll leave it to some people with fantastic knowledge and a tested system.FiveThirtyEight have crunched the numbers and given the likeliness of each outcome in every game, but what do they think will happen? Find out below.*All figures are rounded and may not total 100 per cent How Everton could look in January under Ancelotti with new signings Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City Will Millwall be celebrating again? Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT whoops Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update huge blow 6 Reading v Bristol CityReading win – 32 per cent chance of happeningBristol City win – 39 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happeningRotherham United v Swansea CityRotherham win – 28 per cent chance of happeningSwansea win – 43 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 29 per cent chance of happening Nottingham Forest were beaten by Burton in the Carabao Cup in midweek. gameday cracker Sheffield Wednesday v Norwich CitySheffield Wednesday win – 34 per cent chance of happeningNorwich win – 37 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happeningStoke City v MiddlesbroughStoke win – 40 per cent chance of happeningMiddlesbrough win – 30 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 30 per cent chance of happening Blackburn Rovers v Queens Park RangersBlackburn win – 38 per cent chance of happeningQPR win – 33 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 29 per cent chance of happeningBrentford v MillwallBrentford win – 49 per cent chance of happeningMillwall win – 25 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 26 per cent chance of happening Guardiola-inspired tactics: Is this how Arsenal will line up under Arteta? The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 Wigan Athletic v Leeds UnitedWigan win – 26 per cent chance of happeningLeeds win – 45 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happeninglast_img read more

SURF’S UP AGAIN IN BUNDORAN….AFTER TWO FLAT DAYS!


first_imgAfter two disappointing days organisers of the Eurosurf in Bundoran are hoping the competition can get back on track today.The good and calm weather has not made for ideal conditions for big waves in the past couple of days.But organisers are hoping that will change today with a bit of a wind beginning to take up. Thousands of surf fans have been in Bundoran for the past week for the championships and it is estimated more than €10 million will be riase for the local economy in Donegal.Ireland are currently sitting sixth in the competition and organisers hope the competition will resume around now.Weather permitting, it is hoped the finals of the competition will be held this Sunday.Ends SURF’S UP AGAIN IN BUNDORAN….AFTER TWO FLAT DAYS! was last modified: September 30th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:bundoranEurosurflast_img read more