WhatsApp working on linked accounts vacation and silent mode features


first_imgWhatsApp logo                       REUTERSWhatsApp is reportedly working out on three new features, including linking your account to Instagram, in order to improve its chat and notifications for its over 1.5 billion users.Apart from Linked Accounts, the two other features under development are: Vacation and Silent Mode, said WABetaInfo, a popular website that tracks WhatsApp, on Wednesday.”WhatsApp is working right now on a new feature that allows linking your account with external services.”The feature appears mainly developed for WhatsApp Business, but some references were found in the normal WhatsApp app too,” said the website.The Linked Accounts option will be located under your profile settings.”Currently, the first supported external service is Instagram. Tapping Instagram, after inserting your credentials, your WhatsApp account will be correctly linked to your Instagram profile,” it added.Currently, when you archive a chat, WhatsApp automatically unarchives it once a new message is received from that chat.With the Vacation Mode feature, archived chats won’t be unarchived if you have previously muted them.The option will be available in WhatsApp Settings and then Notifications.”The Vacation mode is also useful if you don’t want a specific chat in your Chats List: if you mute and archive it, you will never see it again, except if you view your Archived Chats,” the report said.The silent mode feature for Android allows to hide the app badge for muted chats.”Thanks to this feature, you will never see the badge when you receive a message from muted chats and groups. The feature is already enabled by default,” the report added.last_img read more

Hefazat thanks Hasina for rescuing Farhad promptly


first_imgHefazat-e-IslamHefazat-e-Islam Bangladesh on Wednesday thanked the law enforcers as well as the government for rescuing poet, essayist and political commentator Farhad Mazhar through their prompt action.In a statement emailed to different media outlets Wednesday evening, the Islam-based group also thanked the prime minister Sheikh Hasina for the rescue of Farhad.“The way the honourable prime minister played a role to save the life of an ordinary citizen, Farhad Mazhar, is praiseworthy and it reflected people’s aspirations,” read the statement.The statement further read: “Our call to the prime minister is to please stand firm against all types of interferences in country’s internal affairs and against all unfair demands, in order to build an independent, sovereign, and strong Bangladesh.”It said all the people of the country including Hefazat will stand by the prime minister, Sheikh Hasina, if she takes such steps.Farhad Mazhar, who had sided with Hefazat during its sturdy street campaigns against then Shahbagh movement, was abducted from his Adabar residence early hours on 3 July.Read more:No answers to who abduct, and whyThree persons forced him into the vehicle blindfoldedFarhad Mazhar admitted to Ibrahim Cardiac HospitalFarhad Mazhar free to go home‘Farhad Mazhar was blindfolded and picked up in a microbus’BNP’s allegations nothing but gibberish: ALFarhad abduction another ugly act of rulers: Khaledalast_img read more

UN rights chief wants crimes against Rohingya referred to ICC


first_imgZeid Ra`ad al-Hussein, U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights addresses a news conference at the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland on 9 March, 2018. Photo: ReutersThe top United Nations human rights official called on Friday for allegations of atrocities committed against the Muslim Rohingya minority in Myanmar to be referred to the International Criminal Court (ICC) for prosecution.Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, also urged Myanmar’s government to allow monitors into northern Rakhine state to investigate what he called suspected “acts of genocide” against the Muslim minority.”What we’re saying is…there are strong suspicions, yes, that acts of genocide may well have taken place. But only a court, having heard all the arguments, will confirm this,” Zeid told a news conference.”It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if a court would make that finding in the future,” he said.The United Nations defines genocide as acts meant to destroy a national, ethnic, racial or religious group in whole or in part. Such a designation is rare under international law, and Zeid noted that the threshold is high.Rohingya refugees make their way to a refugee camp after crossing the Bangladesh-Myanmar border in Palong Khali, near Cox`s Bazar.File photo ReutersNearly 700,000 Rohingya have fled Rakhine state into Bangladesh since insurgent attacks sparked a security crackdown in August. Many have provided harrowing testimonies of executions and rapes of civilians by Myanmar security forces.Myanmar wants to see clear evidence to support accusations of ethnic cleansing or genocide, National Security Adviser Thaung Tun said on Thursday.Zeid, asked about the remarks, said that Myanmar authorities were “serial deniers of the truth”, adding: “To suggest that nothing serious has happened in Rakhine, I mean it’s preposterous, ridiculous. How can they say such a thing?”Ten Rohingya Muslim men with their hands bound kneel as members of the Myanmar security forces stand guard in Inn Din village. ReutersMyanmar has not allowed Yanghee Lee, the UN investigator on human rights in Myanmar, to visit the country to investigate.She said on Friday she was “increasingly of the opinion that the events bear the hallmarks of genocide” and said she would press for prosecutions for crimes committed against entire ethnic and religious groups.”The government leadership who did nothing to intervene, stop, or condemn these acts must also be held accountable,” Lee said in a report based on her interviews with survivors in Bangladesh.last_img

N Korea to expel US citizen for illegal entry


first_imgUS president Donald Trump shakes hands with North Korea`s leader Kim Jong Un after they signed documents that acknowledged the progress of the talks and pledge to keep momentum going, after their summit at the Capella Hotel on Sentosa island in Singapore on 12 June. Photo: ReutersNorth Korea has decided to expel a US citizen who illegally entered the country last month, Pyongyang’s official KCNA news agency said Friday.The man, identified as Lawrence Bruce Byron, had been in custody after crossing into North Korea from China on 16 October, it said.”While being questioned, he said he had illegally entered the country under the command of the US Central Intelligence Agency,” KCNA said.”Relevant authorities have decided to expel him from the country,” it added.A man with the same name was arrested in South Korea while trying to sneak over the inter-Korean border in November last year.Byron, who is in his late 50s and from Louisiana, was later deported back to the US.Media reports said he told South Korean officials he sought to facilitate talks between North Korea and the United States, although he is a private citizen.It is rare for North Korea to release an American detainee so swiftly and it comes amid stalled negotiations over Pyongyang’s nuclear programme.”This gesture means the North wants to keep up momentum for dialogue with the US,” professor Yang Moo-Jin at the University of North Korean Studies told AFP.From journalists to missionaries, most Americans held by North Korea have been released after high-profile interventions.The reclusive regime freed three US detainees in May in an apparent goodwill gesture before a summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and US president Donald Trump in Singapore.The three men travelled home with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and were greeted by Trump on their arrival at an air base near Washington.Currently, there are no known US detainees held by the rigid communist state.The latest release also came after fresh allegations emerged last month that Otto Warmbier, a US student who died after being held in the North, was tortured in custody.The 22-year-old was jailed in the North for more than a year and was released in a comatose state in 2017 but died shortly after returning home.The exact cause of his death remains unknown but a recent US media report claimed there was new evidence that he was beaten by the regime.The director of the Pyongyang Friendship Hospital — which treated Warmbier — slammed the allegations as a “total distortion of the truth” in October.North Korea has denied torturing Warmbier and claims he contracted botulism in detention.At their historic Singapore summit, Trump and Kim signed a vaguely worded document on denuclearisation of the peninsula.Progress has since stalled as Washington and Pyongyang spar over the meaning of the document.Also on Friday, KCNA reported that Kim had overseen the testing of a “newly developed ultramodern tactical weapon”.It marked the first official report of a weapons test by North Korea since it began the delicate diplomatic process with Washington.last_img

China Deletes Nearly 10000 Social Media Accounts in Latest Crackdown


first_imgDeleted accounts included those of “a popular talk show celebrity, an entertainment blogger who shared film footage, online influencers commenting on social issues, and bloggers writing extensively on ethnicity,” according to the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post.“Some spread politically harmful information, maliciously distorted party or state history, slandered heroes, or discredited the country’s image. Some created rumors, spread fake information, generated clickbait…disrupting the normal social order,” the CAC statement said. It added that other deleted accounts had participated in “malicious marketing,” extortion, or copyright infringement, while others had spread vulgar content, “challenging the moral bottom line and harming the healthy growth of the majority of young people.”China has severely ramped up media policing since President Xi Jinping took office in 2012, and is increasingly concerned that airwaves and chatrooms should only be filled with government-friendly, “positive” content. Western social media sites including Google, Facebook, and Twitter are inaccessible in mainland China. Only content that passes strict censorship reviews is supposed to be aired or screened.The crackdowns have sometimes been unintentionally absurd or hilarious. In 2016, authorities banned live-streamers from eating bananas in an “erotic” fashion while on camera. Last summer, they famously banned Western teen idol Justin Bieber from performing on the mainland. Authorities cited unspecified bad behavior on and off stage that they said made him an unsavory person who would prevent China from “purifying” and “maintaining order” in its performing arts scene. And in January, authorities asked TV shows to keep off air performers displaying tattoos or anything related to hip-hop music or subcultures.The CAC called meetings to issue “serious warnings” to managers of Sina Weibo and Tencent’s WeChat, it said. The companies had been chastised for “irresponsible and neglectful management” of the social media space, which had “allowed wild growth and caused all kinds of chaos.” Popular on Variety ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15 China’s Internet watchdog has scrubbed the country’s already highly censored web of nearly 10,000 social media accounts in the past three weeks. It is the ruling Communist Party’s latest move to clamp down on freedom of expression. The cleanup began Oct. 20, the Cyberspace Administration of China said in a statement posted late Monday to its official website. The removals follows a similar purge in June that took down scores of entertainment news media accounts, among others. More than 9,800 accounts were removed from Chinese social media platforms such WeChat and Weibo, the country’s Twitter equivalent, as well as from its Google-like search engine Baidu. The sweep also included leading private-sector news aggregators Toutiao and Sohu.  Sina Weibo in turn said on its official account that it had “seriously accepted” the need to rectify its management procedures, and would “implement corrective actions” that focused on curbing pornographic and “politically harmful” content. It issued an 11-point list describing what now constitutes such content, including posts that “endanger national sovereignty and territorial integrity,” “spread rumors, disrupt social order, and undermine social stability,” or “distort, vilify or defame…heroic martyrs.” In a series of posts earlier this week, Weibo also publicly named a number of popular accounts that had since been deleted, including some with nearly 5 million followers. It explained that others had been temporarily suspended for content such as a “beautiful male butt contest.”Disgruntled users and fans took to Weibo to express their dismay over missing accounts, though it appeared that many negative messages were themselves soon censored. “Wow, they can really just totally wipe out a person in the blink of an eye. This round of purification is just too horrible,” one wrote Wednesday. “Even ‘big V’ online influencers are just sacrificial lambs – as the authorities sharpen their knives, everyone is in danger.” Another asked: “This person was only talking about economics — that’s not okay either?”Bemoaning the loss of a popular account, one user wrote: “If even this account is closed, should we expect to be watching only ‘model operas’ in the coming years?” That is a reference to the eight politically approved stories that were the only ones permitted on screen or stage during the tumultuous years of the 1966-76 Cultural Revolution.last_img read more

Fossils from ancient extinct giant flightless goose suggests it was a fighter


first_img This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Reconstruction of Garganornis ballmanni Meijer, 2014 based on the newly described fossil remains. This reconstruction is based on a generic Western Palaearctic Goose with short and robust tarsometatarsus, short toes and very short wings according to the known elements of Garganornis ballmanni. Illustration made by Stefano Maugeri. Credit: Royal Society Open Science (2017). DOI: 10.1098/rsos.160722 (Phys.org)—A small team of researchers from Italy, Norway and Austria has found evidence of an ancient extinct goose relative that once lived in what is now central Italy. In their paper published in Royal Society Open Science, the team describes the fossils they found, what they suggest the bird once looked like and possibly how it behaved. Giant prehistoric bird fossils found in Antarctica Explore further Citation: Fossils from ancient extinct giant flightless goose suggests it was a fighter (2017, January 13) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2017-01-fossils-ancient-extinct-giant-flightless.htmlcenter_img Journal information: Royal Society Open Science The fossils were found in the Gargano region near the town of Scontrone in central Italy, a place that prior research has shown was an island in the Mediterranean during the time that the bird was alive—approximately 6 to 9 million years ago. Its bones suggest it weighed approximately 22 kilograms and stood approximately one and a half meters tall. But its wings were perhaps too small to allow the bird to fly. The researchers suggest this is common in evolution, especially on islands where birds no longer rely on flight to escape predators. The large size, the researchers note, also suggests it was not an aquatic bird and perhaps lived in a forested area where it clearly had no problems finding enough food for itself and its offspring. Its wings also had carpal knobs (hard and rounded skin) on the carpometacarpus bone (the one on the end akin to the hand in humans)—they are used by modern birds to fight with one another. For that reason, the researchers suggest the ancient bird was likely a fighter, as well. They have dubbed it Garganornis ballmanni.Modern birds with carpal knobs also include some ducks and geese that commonly fight one another over territorial rights. There was also another bird, the Rodrigues solitaire, now extinct, which was known to fight so ferociously that pairs of them would break each other’s bones. The researchers suggest that G. ballmanni likely fended off any attackers by virtue of its large size, but it would likely also have had to fight with others for another precious resource: fresh water. That would mean that it was likely aggressive as well, a trait not uncommon in modern geese.The fossils also represent the first bird remains to be found at the dig site at Scontrone. More information: Marco Pavia et al. The extreme insular adaptation ofMeijer, 2014: a giant Anseriformes of the Neogene of the Mediterranean Basin, Royal Society Open Science (2017). DOI: 10.1098/rsos.160722AbstractNew skeletal elements of the recently described endemic giant anseriform Garganornis ballmanni Meijer, 2014 are presented, coming from the type-area of the Gargano and from Scontrone, southern and central Italy, respectively. The new remains represent the first bird remains found at Scontrone so far, and another shared element between these two localities, both part of the Apulia-Abruzzi Palaeobioprovince. The presence of a very reduced carpometacarpus confirms its flightlessness, only previously supposed on the basis of the very large size, while the morphologies of tarsometatarsus and posterior phalanges clearly indicate the adaptation of G. ballmanni to a terrestrial, non-aquatic, lifestyle. Its very large body size is similar to that observed in different, heavily modified, insular waterfowl and has been normally interpreted as the response to the absence of terrestrial predators and a protection from the aerial ones. The presence of a carpal knob in the proximal carpometacarpus also indicates a fighting behaviour for this large terrestrial bird species. © 2017 Phys.orglast_img read more