Woods 4 back with everyone around him at Honda Classic


first_imgSteam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Tommy Fleetwood, who won the Race to Dubai on the European Tour last year, scratched out a 68 and was one shot out of the lead along with Webb Simpson (72), Russell Henley (70) and Rory Sabbatini (69).Justin Thomas and Daniel Berger each shot 72 and were in a large group at 139. They were among only 10 players remaining under par.Fleetwood laughed when asked the last time he was at 2 under after 36 holes and only one shot out of the lead.“Maybe some junior event,” he said. “It’s good, though. These are the toughest test in golf. Generally, one of the best players prevail at the end of weeks like this. Weeks like this challenge you to the ultimate level. Whether you shoot two 80s or you lead after two rounds, you can see what you need to do and see where your game is. Because this is as hard as it’s ever going to get for you.”The difficulty was primarily from the wind, which blew just as hard in the morning when List shot his 66 as it did in the afternoon. More aggravating to the players are the greens, which are old and bare, firm and crusty. It’s a recipe for not making many putts.ADVERTISEMENT UK plans Brexit celebrations but warns businesses may suffer MOST READ Chemistry between Ross, Lassiter made SMB’s winning play happen Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Defending champion Rickie Fowler had six bogeys on his front nine and shot 77 to miss the cut.“It’s unfortunate that the greens have changed this much in a year,” Fowler said. “They typically get slick and quick on the weekend because they dry out, but at least there’s some sort of surface. But like I said, everyone’s playing the same greens.”It looked as though List was playing a different course when he went out with a bogey-free 32 on the back nine, added a pair of birdies on the front nine and then dropped his only shot when he caught an awkward lie in the bunker on the par-3 seventh.“It’s very relentless,” List said. “There’s not really too many easy holes, but if you hit fairways and go from there, you can make a few birdies out there.”List and Lovemark, both Californians, have never won on the PGA Tour. This is the third time List has had at least a share of the 36- hole lead, most recently in South Korea at the CJ Cup, where he shot 76-72 on the weekend.“It’s kind of irrelevant because there’s going to be 30 guys within a couple shots of the lead,” List said. “It’s going to be that type of week.”He was exaggerating — there were 11 players within three shots of the lead.And there was another guy four shots behind.Woods brought big energy to a Friday afternoon that already was hopping before he overcame a sluggish start and holed a 25-foot birdie putt on No. 9 to make the turn at 1 under for his round, and leaving him two shots out of the lead. Everyone knew it just from listening to the roars.Woods had his chances, twice missing birdie putts from inside 10 feet at Nos. 10 and 12, sandwiched around a 12-foot par save. His round appeared to come undone when he found the water on the 15th and made double bogey for the second straight day. Then, he hit out of a fairway bunker, over the water and onto the green at the dangerous 16th hole and faced a 65-foot putt. He misread the speed and the line, so badly that it was similar to a car driving from Chicago to Denver and winding up in Phoenix. A bogey dropped him to 2 over.The big moment was the 17th hole, 184 waters into the wind and over water. That’s where Rory McIlroy made triple bogey earlier in the day that ruined his otherwise solid round of 72, leaving him seven behind. Making it even tougher for Woods is the Brandt Snedeker hit 5-iron before him to about 6 feet. Woods got to the tee and the wind died, meaning 5-iron was too much and 6-iron wouldn’t clear the water.He went with the 5-iron.“I started that thing pretty far left and hit a pretty big cut in there because I had just too much stick,” Wood said.It landed 12 feet below the hole for a birdie putt.Thomas made 17 pars and a double bogey when he three-putted from 6 feet on No. 16. He felt the same way as Woods.“I’m in a good spot — really good spot — going into this week,” Thomas said.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Tiger Woods hits out of a bunker on the 18th hole during the second round of the Honda Classic golf tournament, Friday, Feb. 23, 2018, in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. — Even with a tee shot into the water for another double bogey, Tiger Woods could see the big picture in the Honda Classic.He was four shots out of the lead going into the weekend.ADVERTISEMENTcenter_img It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Sea turtle trapped in net freed in Legazpi City GALLERY: Barangay Ginebra back as PBA Governors’ Cup kings Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed Luke List delivered a round not many others found possible in such difficult conditions Friday, a 4-under 66 that gave him a share of the lead with Jamie Lovemark (69). They were at 3-under 137, the highest score to lead at the halfway point of the Honda Classic since it moved to PGA National in 2007.So bunched were the scores that Woods was four shots out of the lead and four shots from last place among the 76 players who made the cut at 5-over 145. More importantly, he only had 13 players in front of him.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk“This is a difficult golf course right now,” Woods said. “Making pars is a good thing. I’ve done that, and I’m right there with a chance.”And he has plenty of company. Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew View commentslast_img read more

‘No Mass Dismissal Plan at LPRC’


first_imgThe Managing Director of the Liberia Petroleum Refining Corporation (LPRC), T. Nelson Williams II, has categorically denied rumors that his corporation was contemplating dismissing several employees, among them those who were sent home as non-essential staff in wake of the Ebola epidemic.Appearing before the Senate Committee on Lands, Mines, Energy, Mineral Resources and Environment yesterday, Mr. Williams disclosed that on the contrary, the employees were sent home as a means of helping to decongest and ensure the health, safety and clean environment of the LPRC facilities during the Ebola epidemic.He described the layoff reports as rumors, saying there is no intention of senior management or the Board of Trustees of the LPRC to down-size.Said Mr. Williams, “Our employees are at home resting because we decided to decongest the Terminal because of the Ebola epidemic. At no time did we insinuate or disseminate information that we were terminating or down-sizing people at the LPRC.”  He further informed the Committee chaired by Grand Kru County Senior Senator Cletus Segbe Wotorson, that with Ebola retreating from the country, leading to Liberia being declared Ebola-free sometime soon, the Corporation is looking forward to having its employees return, post-Ebola.He said management was in constant communication with those on leave, making sure that they are well and that they continue to adhere to the preventive measures and respond to awareness in their communities.“We are hoping that they will be returning not later than January.  Meanwhile, they are still taking pay. The only people that will be leaving permanently in January are six of our employees who will be honorably retired after 25 years of service and having reached the age of 65 years. The additional 175 employees will be returning; there will be no mass dismissal at LPRC,” MD Williams declared. The LPRC boss informed the Committee that his corporation has a total workforce of 283 employees, and a contract staff of 200.  He explained that most of the people currently at home are contract staff.Responding to questions on the national fuel security and progress on the expansion work at the LPRC, Mr. Williams said that at this point, the facilities of LPRC are 100 percent full and that there are also vessels enroute. He emphasized that there have been no gaps in supply of petroleum products into the country.“In our plan B, we have contacts with Offshore Lome, just in case there is an issue in Ivory Coast.  By this arrangement, we will continue to receive supplies from other parts of the world. I think we are fine for this year; and going into 2015, we do have fuel security.”   On the expansion work at the LPRC, Mr. Williams said the expansion project for the Kru Storage Terminal, which is located at the Freeport of Monrovia, is about 85 percent completed, and will be finished by the end of December. He said the facility will be used to import heavy fuel oil (HFO), and that by the first quarter of 2015 the new facility will allow those in the business of using heavy fuel oil for their operations to import.The major clients for the usage of that oil is the Liberia Electricity Corporation (LEC). This oil is about 50 percent the cost in diesel fuel, and will also cut the cost of tariff for customers that use LEC and will bring relief for the end users of LEC current.Mr. Williams further indicated that the number of Liberian importers of petroleum products into the country will reach 73 percent by 2016 from the current 58, recalling that when he took over at LPRC, Liberian importers accounted for only 30 percent.The only reason why the LPRC has not increased the number of Liberian importers is because the corporation does not have the capacity.Also appearing yesterday was the Minister of Lands, Mines and Energy, Patrick Sendolo who briefed the committee on the impact of the Ebola epidemic on the Hydro Project, and the electricity distribution and situation report on the southeast.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more