The winger had made just a handful of substitute appearances for the Hammers since his £7million summer switch from Nottingham Forest. Even co-chairman David Gold appeared to have forgotten about Antonio, mistakenly retweeting a picture of him after an internet prankster appealed for information on a ‘missing friend’. “We hit the post with Mauro Zarate as well, so we definitely have the attacking threat, it’s just putting it in the back of the net.” Zarate rattled the post with 10 minutes remaining, shortly after Stoke’s Marko Arnautovic was denied by the woodwork with a deflected free-kick. City were without injured playmaker Xherdan Shaqiri but boss Mark Hughes hopes he will be fit to face Crystal Palace next weekend. “He’s had a little bit of discomfort in his hamstring for a couple of weeks now, and a scan showed a bit of damage at the bottom of his hamstring,” said Hughes. “So we erred on the side of safety, we have a busy period coming up and we felt if he misses one game then hopefully he he will be okay for next week.” Press Association But amidst an injury crisis at Upton Park, Antonio was handed his first start against Stoke and grabbed his opportunity with an all-action display in the goalless draw. “Michail did really well,” said manager Slaven Bilic. “He worked hard and has been waiting for his chance. Now he has got it and he used it really well. “Sometimes it is hard for a player to come in and take their chance when they get it. But he did exactly that and I am really pleased for him.” Antonio went close to claiming all three points for West Ham but his second-half volley was beaten away by City keeper Jack Butland. With Victor Moses ruled out for around six weeks with the hamstring injury he suffered against Manchester United, Antonio is likely to feature heavily over the Christmas period. “It felt unbelievable to get a chance,” he told the club website. “This was my boyhood dream to play in the Premier League and I’ve managed that. “Playing at Old Trafford last week set me up well for this game. It showed me the levels of the league and it was a good 50 minutes. He added: “They have been 0-0 draws, but they haven’t been 0-0 games. Against Man United we had quite a few opportunities, and in this game I had quite a few opportunities. Michail Antonio shook off his ‘missing man’ tag as he finally got a chance to impress for West Ham on Saturday.
Source: BBC Spain manager Luis Enrique has stepped down ‘for personal reasons’ and will be replaced by assistant Robert Moreno after less than a year in charge.The former Barcelona boss signed a two-year contract in July 2018.Enrique had been absent since March because of “a family matter of an urgent nature” according to the Spanish Football Federation.The 49-year-old took over the national team following their exit from the 2018 World Cup in the last 16.“It was a decision Luis Enrique took himself, which we are grateful for,” said Luis Rubiales, president of the Spanish Football Federation.“We will have a perfect memory of him. It’s a personal matter which doesn’t depend on us. We think it’s the best thing to do.“We are convinced that the best response is the most prepared team, and that team is represented by Robert [Moreno] and his group, who arrived with Luis Enrique.”Enrique took charge of Spain’s Nations League campaign, where they failed to reach the semi-finals, and began their Euro 2020 qualifying campaign.He travelled back home for a family matter before Spain’s 2-0 victory in Malta in March and Moreno was placed in temporary charge.Under Moreno, Spain have won their past three games and will take on Romania in their next Euro 2020 qualifier in September.Moreno, 41, told reporters at a press conference on Wednesday it was “a bittersweet day” but he was “encouraged” by support from Enrique.“I didn’t expect to be the head coach this way. Let’s try to carry on the top the work that Luis started,” said Moreno.“It was my credit that Luis agreed and supported us. For me, that is what has encouraged me to pull forward.”Moreno was assistant to Enrique at Roma, Celta Vigo and Barcelona before joining up with Spain and says he “instilled in me the knowledge of the players”.He said: “Since I was 14 years old, I have thought about reaching the highest level, but I didn’t expect it this way.“I’ve spent nine years with Luis training the best in the world and watching his decisions. We’re going to do a great job.”
Jose Mourinho 1 It’s been a tumultuous week for the boys in blue.One point from their opening two games, doctor-gate and a 3-0 drubbing at Man City – has Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho lost it?Have your say in the poll below…
Tim Sherwood and Brendan Rodgers 1 Tim Sherwood insists Liverpool are lucky to have under-fire manager Brendan Rodgers – and he could have managed Real Madrid.The Aston Villa chief has defended Rodgers amid growing pressure on the Anfield boss following their poor start.Villa go to Merseyside on Saturday looking to pile the misery on Rodgers who has seen his side earn just eight points from six games to sit seven points off the top of the Barclays Premier League.Rodgers took Liverpool to second in the league in 2014 and has vowed to fight for his Anfield future with the club denying Carlo Ancelotti had been approached about the possibility of taking over while Jurgen Klopp has been linked with the job. Sherwood, though, believes Rodgers remains a top manager.He said: “After that season they finished second, if they’d won the league could they have kept hold of Brendan Rodgers?“They would have tried everything – and they did, he signed a new contract after that.“All of a sudden he doesn’t turn into a bad manager, it’s fine margins. We might have seen him at Real Madrid.“Why wouldn’t we have seen him there? He’d have won the English Premier League with a team who hasn’t won it for God knows how many years. He would have been the hottest property in football. A week is a long time in this game, let alone a year. Because they got so close it intensifies the pressure. He’s paying the price for overachieving a couple of seasons ago.“It’s harder to be a manager now than 20 years ago with social media and faceless people have their opinions. There’s more pundits than players.”Christian Benteke has been denied a reunion with Villa for the first time since leaving in a £32.5million move in the summer with a hamstring injury and Sherwood, who has Idrissa Gueye (hamstring) available again, admitted Villa would not have let the Belgium striker go if he did not have a release clause.He added: “There wouldn’t have been a price the club would have taken if the clause wasn’t there. The clause was in there from previously and everyone looked at it and thought it was good money. I always knew that call was going to come.”
Deputy Charlie McConalogue is calling for a National Driving Licence Service Centre for Inishowen. Drivers on the peninsula are having to drive to Letterkenny to the NDLS centre there apply for or renew their licences.Deputy McConalogue explained, “Since the new driving licence application was set up in 2013, motorists on the Inishowen peninsula have been driving to Letterkenny to apply for or renew their licences. While the NDLS system makes sense, there are only 34 centres in the country and counties like Donegal, which have a huge geographical spread, are at a major disadvantage”. The locations of the National Driving Licence Service (NDLS) centres were decided on the basis that 95% of the population would be within 50km of a centre. The Road Safety Authority says this is in line with other comparable services such as the NCT and Driver Theory Test.“There is an argument to be made for an NDLS centre in Inishowen as more than 50% of the population lives more than 50km from Letterkenny. In fact, residents in Carndonagh, Malin and Culdaff have to travel well over 60km to get to Letterkenny.“I highlighted the need for an NDLS centre in Inishowen in a recent Parliamentary Question to the Transport Minister; however Minister Ross refused to take responsibility for this issue and referred it to the Road Safety Authority.“This is a State service and the responsibility in my opinion ultimately lies with Minister Ross. The Public Services Centre in Carndonagh offers excellent facilities in the peninsula and would make an ideal location for a National Driving Licence Service centre. I will continue to press the Minister on this important issue”, concluded Deputy McConalogue. Call made for Driving Licence Centre for Inishowen was last modified: November 21st, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)