The St. Bernard’s boys and girls basketball teams each claimed first-round victories in Wednesday night’s North Coast Section Division-V playoff games. The No. 6 seed St. Bernard’s boys downed visiting No. 11 seed Oakland Military Institute 92-66 on the back of a 29-point performance by Garrison Finck.“They played the smartest game they have all year,” St. Bernard’s boys head coach Steve Thrap said. “No one played selfish, we played team focused basketball.”The No. 2 seed St. Bernard’s girls …
13 March 2014Two major wheelchair tennis tournaments are set to be staged in South Africa next month: the Airports Company South Africa (Acsa) Gauteng Open and the Acsa SA Open. Many of the world’s leading players will be in action.The Acsa Gauteng Open will be played at the Gauteng East Tennis Centre at Benoni Lake from 23 to 27 April and is a grade one event, one of only 13 such tournaments in the world.Top international playersTop international players are expected to participate in the event, in preparation for the even more prestigious Acsa SA Open, which takes place at Ellis Park in Johannesburg from 29 April to 3 May.The Acsa SA Open is a Super Series event, one of only six such tournaments in the world to hold that status. The other Super Series tournaments are played in Australia, France, Japan, Britain and the United States.‘An important tournament’“It is a tremendous honour to be awarded such an important tournament,” Wheelchair Tennis South Africa (WTSA) general manager Karen Losch said in a statement on Wednesday.“It is evidence that South Africa has been recognised as one of the powerhouses of wheelchair tennis. We expect stars from around the world to come to South Africa for the tournaments, and we hope the people of Gauteng will come in their numbers to support our players.”Star SitholeSouth Africa boasts some of the world’s leading wheelchair tennis players, led by US Open quad champion and world number two Lucas Sithole, who finished as runner-up to world number one David Wagner in the Australian Open in January.In the 2013 SA Open, Sithole beat Wagner on his way to the final where he lost to Andy Lapthorne. With that result, Sithole climbed to fourth in the world rankings and has since improved markedly.Defending Gauteng Open championSouth Africa’s number one female player Kgothatso Montjane, known as “KG”, is ranked seventh in the world, and is the defending champion in the Gauteng Open. She was also the runner-up in last year’s SA Open.Evans Maripa is the world number 15. He was encouraged by Montjane to take up the sport in 2007. Just two years later, he won Gold at the Asia pAcific Youth Para Games in Tokyo.DrawsBoth South African tournaments will have draws of 32 players for the singles and 16 pairs for the doubles in the men’s event, and 24 and 12 in the women’s event, while the junior and quads events will have draws of 16 players for singles and eight pairs for doubles.As part of WTSA’s outreach programme, stars from wheelchair and able-bodied tennis will conduct a special clinic for schools on 30 April at Ellis Park.SAinfo reporter
The Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation has sent a three-member team to Jaipur to inquire into an alleged unethical human clinical trial conducted by a pharma company at a private hospital in the Rajasthan capital, the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) said on Saturday.State panel Rajasthan Health Minister Kalicharan Saraf also constituted a three-member panel to probe into the alleged incident. According to State officials, nearly two dozen people hailing from Rajasthan’s Churu and Bharatpur districts were allegedly subjected to the unethical human clinical trial for an osteo-ortho drug at the hospital. DCGI Dr. S. Eswara Reddy, in Delhi, said, “We have sent a team of three officials to Jaipur to inquire into the matter along with the State drug controller.” Mr. Saraf said a three-member panel, headed by an additional director-level officer has been constituted to probe the matter. “Action will be taken, if lapses are found, the Health Minister said. Hospital visitedThe panel on Saturday visited the hospital located in Vishwakarma Industrial Area to initiate the probe. “Principal investigator and patients enrolled in the clinical trial were not available at the site. We have asked the hospital staff to provide necessary documents related to the trial,” Dr. Ravi Prakash Sharma, the head of the three-member probe panel constituted by the State government, said.
The court held that the classification “complies with the twin test of reasonable classification permissible under Article 14 (equality before the law) of the Constitution of India, namely, intelligible differentia and rational nexus to the object sought to be achieved.”It stated, “We, however, hold that the quantum of reservation set out by the Maharashtra State Reservation for seats for admission in educational institutions in the State and for appointments in the public services and posts under the State for SEBC as 16% is not justifiable and we quash and set aside the quantum of reservation under the said provisions over and above 12% and 13% respectively as recommended by the Commission.”Senior counsel Anil Sakhare appearing for the State told The Hindu, “we will definitely go in appeal to the Supreme Court on the limited point of 12% for education and 13% for jobs and will bring it back to 16%.”Advocate Gunratan Sadavarte, opposing the verdict, also said, “We will appeal in the Supreme Court as the reservation is against the spirit of the Constitution and breaks the 50% mandate of reservation in the State. It is reverse discrimination against general category.” Also Read MSBCC justifies 16% Maratha reservation The Bombay High Court on Thursday upheld reservation for Marathas in the State but quashed the 16% quota by calling it “not justifiable”. The court said it should not exceed 12% for education and 13% for jobs as recommended by the Maharashtra State Backward Class Commission (MSBCC).A Division Bench of Justices Ranjit More and Bharati Dangre said, “We hold and declare that the State possesses the legislative competence to enact the Maharashtra State Reservation for Seats for Admission in Educational Institutions in the State and for appointments in the public services and posts under the State (for Socially and Educationally Backward Classes) SEBC Act, 2018, and the State’s legislative competence is not in any way affected by the Constitution.”Welcoming the verdict, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said in the Assembly, “The court has upheld the extraordinary and exceptional circumstances mentioned in the report to provide quota to Marathas, due to which the reservation quantum in the State has crossed 50%.”Extraordinary situation In the 487-page judgment, the Bench noted, “We hold and declare that the report of the Gaikwad Commission has set out the ‘exceptional circumstances and extra-ordinary situations’ justifying crossing of the limit of 50% reservation as set out in the Indra Sawhney case (Supreme Court).”The court recorded, “The 50% limit of reservation can be crossed subject to availability of quantifiable and contemporaneous data reflecting backwardness, inadequacy of representation and without affecting the efficiency in administration.”The judgment said the classification of the Maratha class into “Socially and Educationally Backward Class” was justified.
Kevin Durant out with Achilles injury; to undergo MRI on Tuesday PLAY LIST 03:12Kevin Durant out with Achilles injury; to undergo MRI on Tuesday01:43Who are Filipinos rooting for in the NBA Finals?02:25Raptors or Warriors? PBA players take their pick of NBA champ02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too Curry scored 47 points—a playoff career-high for the three-time champion—but the Warriors still find themselves in some postseason trouble. Missing Klay Thompson, Kevin Durant and Kevon Looney with injuries, the Warriors fell 123-109 to the Toronto Raptors on Wednesday night and now trail these NBA Finals 2-1.“Steph was incredible,” Warriors coach Steve Kerr said. “The stuff he does is, he does things that honestly I don’t think anybody has ever done before. The way he plays the game, the way he shoots it and the combination of his ball handling and shooting skills, it’s incredible to watch. He was amazing.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsThough it’s no consolation to Curry, his 47 points were the second-most ever by a player in a finals game loss. The only time someone scored more and wasn’t on the winning team that night was LeBron James, who scored 51 points on this same Oracle Arena floor in Game 1 of last year’s title series. Golden State wound up sweeping Cleveland.Thompson didn’t play because of his strained left hamstring, Looney’s season is over because of an upper-body injury sustained in Game 2 and Durant sat out for the eighth consecutive game with a calf injury. Game 4 of this series is Friday, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see both Durant and Thompson back in the lineup for the two-time defending NBA champions. Thompson was lobbying to play Wednesday, and Durant has been ramping up toward a return. LATEST STORIES MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next The Warriors need them.Or else their reign might end, no matter how great Curry is the rest of the way.“The moment is now,” Curry said. “You’ve got to try to have a next-man-up mentality, like we always say, and just go out and fight. We did that tonight. We can play better, obviously better on the defensive end. But I liked the competitiveness that we had, understanding that we’re missing 50 points pretty much between KD and Klay.”It was evident from the outset that if the Warriors were going to somehow win without both Thompson and Durant in the lineup, it would be Curry carrying the load.He darn near made it happen.ADVERTISEMENT Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP Raptors hit big shots, beat Warriors for 2-1 NBA Finals lead Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew “Not that he’s not amazing pretty often,” Warriors forward Draymond Green said, “but tonight was a special performance by him.”Curry scored Golden State’s first five field goals. He had 25 points and eight rebounds by halftime, the first time in his 803-game career that he put up those numbers in the first 24 minutes of a game. Midway through the third quarter, he was outscoring all of his teammates combined. He had his entire arsenal working — 3-pointers, layups, free throws. He was diving for loose balls. He even won a jump ball.He conceded nothing.Curry just didn’t have enough help. Or, maybe more accurately, the Raptors had too many answers.“We tried to up our presence on him a little bit with some double teams, but it doesn’t really matter,” Raptors coach Nick Nurse said. “All that matters is … my dad used to tell me the stats don’t matter, just the final score. So we’ll just take the win and be thankful for that.”All five Toronto starters scored somewhere between 17 and 30 points. The Raptors made 17 3-pointers, Fred VanVleet’s desperation 3 with just under 2 minutes left put Toronto up by 13, and that’s when Kerr decided to empty the bench.Curry’s night ended there, with the eighth-highest single-game scoring performance in NBA Finals history. He also had eight rebounds and seven assists, ending with a stat line that only James has done in a finals game.“We fought, but we lost,” Curry said. “So we’ve got to go back to the drawing board and just recalibrate for Game 4.” Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry (30) walks on the floor during the first half of Game 3 of basketball’s NBA Finals against the Toronto Raptors in Oakland, Calif., Wednesday, June 5, 2019. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)OAKLAND, California—Stephen Curry did all he could to lead the injury-depleted Golden State Warriors.It wasn’t enough.ADVERTISEMENT View comments