Odisha gangrape victim kills herself


first_imgThe class IX girl allegedly gang-raped by four security personnel in combat attire near Kunduli of Odisha’s Koraput district on Oct 10 last year, committed suicide in her home at Musaguda village on Monday afternoon.At around 2.30 pm, her family members, who had returned after some work found her hanging inside the house locked from inside. She was seen hanging on her dupatta. The family members broke open the door and took her to the Kunduli Community Health Centre (CHC). According to Sunabeda Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO), Narahari Nayak, the victim was declared ‘brought d dead’ by the CHC doctors. Angry villagers at Kunduli CHC refused to allow the police to remove the body for post mortem till evening. Odisha Chief Minister, Naveen Patnaik, who had returned to Bhubaneswar on Monday after being conferred with ‘ideal Chief Minister’ award at the eighth Indian students’ parliament at World Peace University, Pune, on Sunday condoled the girls death BJP leader and Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan criticised the BJD government for the girl’s suicide.State president of Mahila Morcha of Odisha BJP, Prabhati Parida said that they would holddemonstrations throughout the State for two days against the handling of the incident. Congress hads decided to hold ademonstration on the issue, at Kunduli on Tuesday. Congress leader and former Congress MP, Pradeep Majhi said leaders of Odisha Congress would reach Kunduli by Tuesday morning. “The victim committed suicide due to mental stress and frustration as she was unable to get justice from any source,” Mr Majhi said.The victim had alleged that on Oct 10, 2017 she had been gang-raped near Kunduli under Pottangi police station by four persons in combat attire On Oct 16, four persons from her village had been taken into custody for interrogation .last_img read more

Six flurelated deaths reported last week bringing seasons total to 308


first_img Posted: March 21, 2018 KUSI Newsroom March 21, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — A half-dozen influenza-related deaths were reported last week in San Diego County, bringing the flu season’s total to 308 in the region, health officials announced Wednesday.This has been a particularly severe flu season in the region and across the country. At this time last year, 72 deaths had been reported.There were 682 lab-confirmed cases in the county last week, up from 602 the week before. That brings this season’s total to 19,483, compared to 4,956 at this time last season, according to county data.The number of influenza cases being reported is still elevated, a sign that the flu is still here and making people sick,” said Dr. Wilma Wooten, the county’s public health officer. “People should continue getting vaccinated.”Wooten has extended until April 30 an order for unvaccinated health care professionals to wear a mask while they’re in patient care areas. She said she may need to extend the order further if flu activity remains elevated.The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that everyone over the age of 6 months be vaccinated.Vaccines are available at doctors’ offices and retail pharmacies. Those without insurance can go to a county public health center to get vaccinated. For a list of locations, visit www.sdiz.org or call 211. Six flu-related deaths reported last week bringing season’s total to 308last_img read more

An iPhone XS Face IDlike selfie camera is headed to the LG


first_img • See It 18 Photos Walmart See All Post a comment Mobile World Congress 2019 reading • An iPhone XS Face ID-like selfie camera is headed to the LG G8 ThinQ $379 Preview • LG G7 ThinQ: A notch, a Google button and more Review • LG G7 ThinQ review: Bets on AI, but there’s no bite $349 $480 Sprint An exploded view of the G8’s front-facing camera lens. LG LG just introduced its LG G8 ThinQ. The high-end phone, which includes face unlock technology, is the successor to last year’s LG G7 ThinQ, and will likely make its physical debut at MWC 2019 in Barcelona, Spain at the end of the month. LG posted its announcement online and while it didn’t include any specs or images of the phone, we do learn more about its front-facing camera. The phone features time-of-flight technology, which enables cameras to measure distance using infrared light and scan 3D objects. For the user, that means the G8 will have facial recognition, similar to FaceID that’s featured on Apple iPhones.LG also reported that the new camera technology will have applications in AR and VR platforms, so we may expect more AR/VR features on the G8 that’ll incorporate digital graphics overlaid onto real-world images.Little else is known about the marquee handset, but if it iterates the G7, we can expect top-tier specs at a price that’s slightly less than Samsung’s upcoming Galaxy S10. During my time reviewing it, I liked the G7’s AI-powered camera and the fact that it had a headphone jack (which is a rarity in top handsets these days). But its battery life was pretty average and the phone overall failed to distinguish itself in the crowded phone market.CNET will be on the ground reporting from MWC, so check back for more information about the LG G8 ThinQ. CNET may get a commission from retail offers. Tags Mobile World Congress 2019 See It See it Jun 1 • The Nubia Alpha looks like either a house arrest bracelet or Batman’s phone LG G7 ThinQ: A seriously detailed look Jun 29 • Galaxy S10 5G, OnePlus 7 Pro LG V50 ThinQ 5G: Why you shouldn’t rush to buy a 5G phone LG G7 ThinQ May 13 • Galaxy S10E vs. iPhone XR: Every spec compared 0 Mentioned Above LG G7 ThinQ (64GB, platinum gray) Share your voice Jul 9 • Killer cameras and battery life might meet their match in the Note 10 Phones LG Samsung Applelast_img read more

Ripon Tabith 3 others collect BNP nomination forms


first_imgAsaduzzaman Ripon and Tabith AwalFive aspirants, including Asaduzzaman Ripon and Tabith, collected nomination forms of Bangladesh Nationalist Party on Sunday for contesting the by-polls to Dhaka North City Corporation mayor polls with the party ticket, reports UNB.The nomination seekers bought the forms at Tk 10,000 at different times from BNP’s Naya Paltan central office.The three other nomination aspirants are BNP assistant publication affairs secretary Shakil Wahed, its Dhaka north city unit president MA Quayum, and ex-member of parliament Akhtaruzzaman.Tabith contested the DNCC polls held on 28 April, 2015 with BNP ticket and boycotted the voting halfway through bringing various allegations, including widespread vote rigging and obstruction to voters.Earlier, the party started selling its nomination from at 11:00am and it continued until 4:00pm.On Saturday night, BNP standing committee members at a meeting decided to sell nomination forms among people willing to contest the upcoming by-polls to the DNCC with the party ticket.BNP senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi said the nomination seekers will have to submit the forms to the BNP office with Tk 25,000 security money by 4:00pm on Monday.Later, he said the party nomination board, comprising BNP standing committee member, headed by its chairperson will interview the aspirants on Monday night at the party chairperson’s Gulshan office.The BNP leader said the nomination board will pick one of the nomination seekers as the party candidate for the by-polls.He hoped that the name of the party-nominated candidate will be announced on Monday night.As per the schedule declared by the Election Commission, the by-polls to the DNCC mayoral post will be held on 26 February.The DNCC mayoral post fell vacant with the death of Annisul Huq on 30 November last year.last_img read more

UN rights chief wants crimes against Rohingya referred to ICC


first_imgZeid Ra`ad al-Hussein, U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights addresses a news conference at the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland on 9 March, 2018. Photo: ReutersThe top United Nations human rights official called on Friday for allegations of atrocities committed against the Muslim Rohingya minority in Myanmar to be referred to the International Criminal Court (ICC) for prosecution.Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, also urged Myanmar’s government to allow monitors into northern Rakhine state to investigate what he called suspected “acts of genocide” against the Muslim minority.”What we’re saying is…there are strong suspicions, yes, that acts of genocide may well have taken place. But only a court, having heard all the arguments, will confirm this,” Zeid told a news conference.”It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if a court would make that finding in the future,” he said.The United Nations defines genocide as acts meant to destroy a national, ethnic, racial or religious group in whole or in part. Such a designation is rare under international law, and Zeid noted that the threshold is high.Rohingya refugees make their way to a refugee camp after crossing the Bangladesh-Myanmar border in Palong Khali, near Cox`s Bazar.File photo ReutersNearly 700,000 Rohingya have fled Rakhine state into Bangladesh since insurgent attacks sparked a security crackdown in August. Many have provided harrowing testimonies of executions and rapes of civilians by Myanmar security forces.Myanmar wants to see clear evidence to support accusations of ethnic cleansing or genocide, National Security Adviser Thaung Tun said on Thursday.Zeid, asked about the remarks, said that Myanmar authorities were “serial deniers of the truth”, adding: “To suggest that nothing serious has happened in Rakhine, I mean it’s preposterous, ridiculous. How can they say such a thing?”Ten Rohingya Muslim men with their hands bound kneel as members of the Myanmar security forces stand guard in Inn Din village. ReutersMyanmar has not allowed Yanghee Lee, the UN investigator on human rights in Myanmar, to visit the country to investigate.She said on Friday she was “increasingly of the opinion that the events bear the hallmarks of genocide” and said she would press for prosecutions for crimes committed against entire ethnic and religious groups.”The government leadership who did nothing to intervene, stop, or condemn these acts must also be held accountable,” Lee said in a report based on her interviews with survivors in Bangladesh.last_img

Sri Lanka falls silent as toll soars to 310


first_imgSri Lankan military officials stand guard in front of the St. Anthony`s Shrine, Kochchikade church after an explosion in Colombo, Sri Lanka on 21 April 2019. Photo: ReutersSri Lanka began a day of national mourning Tuesday with three minutes of silence to honour more than 300 people killed in suicide bomb blasts that have been blamed on a local Islamist group.Flags were lowered to half mast on government buildings, and people bowed their heads and reflected silently on the violence that has caused international outrage.The silence began at 8:30am (0300 GMT), the time that the first of six bombs detonated on Sunday morning, unleashing carnage at high-end hotels and churches packed with Easter worshippers.Shortly after the silence was observed, a police spokesman said the toll had risen to 310, with several people dying of their injuries overnight.The first memorial services for the victims, among them dozens of foreigners, were planned for Tuesday, hours after the government imposed a state of emergency and said an Islamist group was behind the violence.At St Anthony’s Shrine in Colombo — where scores died as they gathered for Easter Sunday prayers — a crowd of a few dozen people held candles and prayed silently, palms pressed together.Some of them struggled to hold back tears and as the three minutes drew to a close, the crowd began to chant prayers.Police said that 40 people were now under arrest over the suicide bomb attacks — the worst atrocity since Sri Lanka’s civil war ended a decade ago.The attacks were also the worst ever against the country’s small Christian minority, who make up just seven percent of its population of 21 million.Investigators are now hunting for clues on whether the local Islamist group named as the chief suspect — National Thowheeth Jama’ath (NTJ) — received “international support”, said cabinet minister and government spokesman Rajitha Senaratne.The spokesman added that it was not possible for such “a small organisation” to carry out such well coordinated suicide strikes.President Maithripala Sirisena’s office said there was intelligence that “international terror groups” were “behind local terrorists” and that he would seek foreign help to investigate.The state of emergency, which gave police and the military special powers to counter militant strikes, came into force at midnight (1830 GMT Monday). Suspects can be detained without a court order.A second straight night-time curfew was also put in place, but lifted before dawn.Officials are also investigating why more precautions were not taken after an April 11 warning from Sri Lanka’s police that a “foreign intelligence agency” had reported the NTJ planned suicide attacks on churches.Senaratne said the warning was not passed on to Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe or other top ministers.- Tensions high -Tensions remained high and security heavy after a bomb discovered by police on Monday near one of the targeted churches blew up before police could defuse it. Although there was a powerful blast, no injuries were reported.Police also found 87 bomb detonators at a Colombo bus station.Details have begun to emerge about some of the foreigners killed in the blasts.The United States reported at least four Americans killed — including a child — and the Netherlands raised their toll to three.A Danish billionaire lost three of his children in the attacks, a spokesman for his company said.Eight Britons, eight Indians and nationals from Turkey, Australia, France, Japan and Portugal, were also killed, according to Sri Lankan officials and foreign governments.The suicide bombers hit three Colombo luxury hotels popular with foreign tourists — the Cinnamon Grand, the Shangri-La and the Kingsbury — and three churches: two in the Colombo region and one in the eastern city of Batticaloa.Two additional blasts were triggered as security forces carried out raids searching for suspects.Interpol said it was deploying investigators and specialists to Sri Lanka, and the US State Department warned of possible further attacks in a travel advisory.- Memories of civil war -Ethnic and religious violence has plagued Sri Lanka for decades, with a 37-year conflict with Tamil rebels followed by an upswing in recent years in clashes between the Buddhist majority and Muslims.Burials were expected to begin for some of the dead on Tuesday.At St Sebastian’s, coffins were being brought in individually for services in the run-up to a mass memorial beginning mid-morning.”There are so many bodies that we can’t accommodate them all at once,” Anthony Jayakody, auxillary bishop of Colombo, told AFP.The attacks have sparked local and international outrage.Two leading Sri Lankan Muslim groups issued statements condemning the attacks, with the All Ceylon Jamiyaathuul Ulama, a council of Muslim theologians, urging the “maximum punishment for everyone involved in these dastardly acts”.last_img