Odisha gangrape victim kills herself


first_imgThe class IX girl allegedly gang-raped by four security personnel in combat attire near Kunduli of Odisha’s Koraput district on Oct 10 last year, committed suicide in her home at Musaguda village on Monday afternoon.At around 2.30 pm, her family members, who had returned after some work found her hanging inside the house locked from inside. She was seen hanging on her dupatta. The family members broke open the door and took her to the Kunduli Community Health Centre (CHC). According to Sunabeda Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO), Narahari Nayak, the victim was declared ‘brought d dead’ by the CHC doctors. Angry villagers at Kunduli CHC refused to allow the police to remove the body for post mortem till evening. Odisha Chief Minister, Naveen Patnaik, who had returned to Bhubaneswar on Monday after being conferred with ‘ideal Chief Minister’ award at the eighth Indian students’ parliament at World Peace University, Pune, on Sunday condoled the girls death BJP leader and Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan criticised the BJD government for the girl’s suicide.State president of Mahila Morcha of Odisha BJP, Prabhati Parida said that they would holddemonstrations throughout the State for two days against the handling of the incident. Congress hads decided to hold ademonstration on the issue, at Kunduli on Tuesday. Congress leader and former Congress MP, Pradeep Majhi said leaders of Odisha Congress would reach Kunduli by Tuesday morning. “The victim committed suicide due to mental stress and frustration as she was unable to get justice from any source,” Mr Majhi said.The victim had alleged that on Oct 10, 2017 she had been gang-raped near Kunduli under Pottangi police station by four persons in combat attire On Oct 16, four persons from her village had been taken into custody for interrogation .last_img read more

2nd T20I: Jason Behrendorff, Moises Henriques star as Australia beat India to level series


first_imgAustralia’s Jason Behrendorff took four wickets for 21 in an inspired spell of fast bowling to set up an eight-wicket win over India in the second Twenty20 international on Tuesday, squaring the three-match series at 1-1.The touring side, who lost the one-day series 4-1 and the first T20 by nine wickets, reached their target of 119 with 27 balls to spare at the Barsapara Cricket Stadium in Guwahati.Playing only his second international match, the 27-year-old Behrendorff scythed through India’s top order after Australia captain David Warner won the toss and chose to bowl.Australia win the 2nd T20I by 8 wickets, level the three-match series 1-1 #INDvAUS pic.twitter.com/G0u2p81XfN- BCCI (@BCCI) October 10, 2017The left-arm paceman dismissed opening batsman Rohit Sharma and India captain Virat Kohli in his first over and then took the wickets of Shikhar Dhawan and Manish Pandey to reduce the hosts to 27-4 inside the first five overs.”It was unbelievable. Bowling four (overs) upfront doesn’t happen too often and I was lucky to do it,” Behrendorff said during the innings break.”Bowling upfront and swinging the new ball is my strength and it is an honour to be opening the bowling for your country.”India never recovered from the terrible start and were all out for 118 in their 20 overs. Kedar Jadhav scored 27 and Hardik Pandya made 25 in the only notable contributions with the bat for the hosts.Leg-spinner Adam Zampa kept the pressure up on the Indian middle order, picking up two for 19 in his four overs.advertisementAustralia lost openers Warner and Aaron Finch early in their chase, giving India hope of an unlikely win but Moises Henriques and Travis Head then combined in an unbroken stand of 109 for the third wicket to take them to victory.Henriques hit four sixes and an identical number of boundaries to remain unbeaten on 62 for his second half century in T20. Head was not out on 48 as Australia completed a convincing victory.Hyderabad will host the deciding match of the series on Friday.last_img read more