Apr 7, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – A 19-year-old Egyptian man died of H5N1 avian influenza Apr 5, raising the country’s H5N1 toll to 48 cases with 21 deaths, according to news services.The man was from the Nile Delta province of Beheira and had been exposed to infected poultry at home, said reports by Agence France-Presse (AFP) and Bloomberg News.He was hospitalized in Alexandria on Apr 3 after complaining of a high fever and shortness of breath, a health ministry official told the MENA news agency, according to AFP. Another official told Bloomberg that the man was treated with oseltamivir (Tamiflu), but it was too late to save him.Egypt has had four previous human H5N1 cases this year, one of them fatal, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). The country has had more cases than any other non-Asian nation and the third most overall after Indonesia and Vietnam.Egypt’s location on major bird migration routes and its many households with backyard poultry flocks have contributed to the high number of cases there, the AFP story noted. Most of those infected in Egypt have been women and children, who take care of the backyard poultry in most cases, the story said.Of the four previous cases in Egypt so far this year, three of the patients were children and one was a 25-year-old woman, WHO reports show.
He added that the vehicle used anunauthorized food pass and that the team namedropped Casilao to get pastcheckpoints before they were accosted. DILG Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya saidCasilao violated provisions of the Bayanihan to Heal as One law on strictstay-at-home protocols for residents of Luzon. “We don’t give special treatmenteven if you have a congressman with you. We will sue all violators,” theDILG official added. Malaya claimed the jeepney that ferriedthe group and the goods also carried tarpaulins, pamphlets and other“propaganda materials,” which were confiscated. The DILG identified the volunteers asKarl Mae San Juan, Marlon Lester Gueta, Robero Medel, Eriberto Peña Jr., RaymarGuaves, and Tobi Estrada. The relief goods were eventuallydistributed to the intended recipients in Barangay Bigte in Norzagaray, Bulacanafter they were turned over to local authorities. According to Malaya, the gesture ofCasilao’s team was an “unauthorized travel outside of Metro Manila,”and an alleged to organize a mass gathering in the community in the guise ofdistributing relief goods. “We wish to remind Anakpawis thatthe virus cannot spread by itself,” Malaya said. “It has no legs. Itis people that spread the virus. You give us no choice but to file chargesagainst you.” They will be charged for violatingprovisions of the Bayanihan law, among them for non-cooperation and resistanceand disobedience to a person of authority, while Casilao will face raps forusurpation of authority./PN MANILA – The Department of Interior andLocal Government (DILG) will file charges against former Anakpawis Party-list Rep.Ariel Casilao and six volunteers for violating quarantine rules when theydistribute relief goods in Norzagaray, Bulacan on Sunday. Casilao and his team of volunteers fromTulong Anakpawis and Sagip Kanayunan were blocked and apprehended by cops onSunday morning but were not informed of their violations.