LSIs not allowed to enter Iloilo for now


first_imgILOILO – Locally stranded individuals (LSIs) from other provinces and cities are temporarily banned from entering this province, according to Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr.  He clarified that only the return of LSIs from other provinces and cities was suspended. The return to Region 6 of stranded overseas workers would continue, he noted.   “This has been confirmed by General Galvez of Inter Agency Task Force nga suspended gid man anay ang voyages sang aton LSIs. Supposed to be kahapon [nagsugod] but in so far as we are concerned, suspended na kay ti gintawgan naton kaina si Secretary Galvez [and] siling ‘ya consider it suspended,” Defensor explained. As of June 22, a total of 5,506 overseas workers have returned to Region, DOH data showed, and of these, 72 tested positive for COVID-19. He, however, said that there are two voyages carrying around 800 LSIs that left Metro Manila on Thursday, June 25 arrived in Region 6 on Friday. Friday last week, Defensor said he would ask the IATF-MEID to temporarily stop sending back to Iloilo the Ilonggos stranded in Cebu citing the rising number of COVID-19 infections there. The provincial government, according to Defensor, accepted this latest batch since their return was scheduled before the national government announced the suspension, which is part of the preparation to require all LSIs to undergo swab or reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) testing. The suspension took effect on Friday, June 26 and will last for two weeks. The rest just needed to secure a medical clearance stating they weren’t confirmed, suspected, or probably coronavirus cases and had completed a 14-day quarantine. “Thereturn of all LSIs to Iloilo and also to other provinces and cities [gin] stopped anay,” said Defensor, citing the directive of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID). These past few weeks, LSIs returning to Iloilo from Cebu and other parts of the country were not required to pass RT-PCR tests. They were only asked to present a travel authority and certificate stating they completed 14 days of quarantine. Previously, RT-PCR tests were only required for stranded individuals recovering from COVID-19. Here’s the breakdown of repatriated overseas workers: * Iloilo province – 1,780* Bacolod City – 831* Capiz – 641* Iloilo City – 629* Aklan – 591* Negros Occidental – 489* Antique – 403* Guimaras – 142 On May 25 President Rodrigo Duterte ordered concerned government agencies to bring home all overseas Filipino workers and other people stuck in Metro Manila and elsewhere due to the quarantine./PNlast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *