Nandlall to lead defence in law books fiasco


first_imgFormer Attorney General and Legal Affairs Minster Anil Nandlall who appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on Friday, was instructed to lead his defence on December 6, 2018, by Magistrate Fabayo Azore, after she adjudged that the evidence provided by the Special Organised Crime Unit (SOCU) was enough for him to face the charge which alleges that he stole some 14 Commonwealth law books worth $2.3 million.SOCU’s Prosecutor, Patrice Henry presented on behalf of the State, meanwhile defence Attorney Glenn Hanoman informed the court that it is expected to have former President Donald Ramotar as a witness into the matter.The former Attorney General was on April 27, 2017, released on self-bail after heFormer Attorney General Anil Nandlallwas charged for fraudulently acquiring and converting Commonwealth law books to his own use and benefits, property of the State.On April 24 2017, Nandlall was called in to SOCU headquarters for questioning in relation to the Commonwealth law books. The day after his detainment, the attorney took to the High Court and filed legal proceedings against Attorney General Basil Williams, SC, to prove that the 14 law books are his property.Following the legal arguments in court, the Chief Justice (ag), Roxane George had granted the conservatory order, restraining officers of SOCU and the Guyana Police Force from seizing or detaining the said books.Nandlall had explained to the media that when he was appointed Attorney General, he requested as part of his contract of service for the Government of Guyana to stand the expense for his subscriptions for the Commonwealth law books. He had subscribed to Lexis Nexis, the publishers of the law reports.His contentions were corroborated publicly by then President Donald Ramotar. However, two days later, on April 27, 2017, Nandlall was arraigned before Georgetown Magistrate Fabayo Azore on a charge instituted by members of SOCU.Nandlall continues to maintain that the accusation laid against him by SOCU was instigated by Attorney General Basil Williams because he [Nandlall] continues to criticise his [Willams’] performance.Nandlall has previously explained that when he was appointed Attorney General, he requested as part of his contract of service for the Government of Guyana to stand the expense for his subscriptions for the Commonwealth law books. He had subscribed to Lexis Nexis, the publishers of the law reports. Insisting that nothing was abnormal about the practice, the former AG had argued that it was done by other Government Ministries such as Finance and Health.He had expressed awareness that for decades prior, the Government had paid for professional and technical publications, journals, periodicals, magazines. This, he said, had been done for Ministers as well as professional and technical personnel.last_img read more

DONEGAL NOT ‘SERIOUS’ CONTENDERS FOR ALL-IRELAND TITLE – SPILLANE


first_imgPat Spillane has dismissed Donegal’s chances of winning the All-Ireland title and claimed there is only four ‘serious’ contenders for the most coveted prize in GAA.Spillane claims that only Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and at a push Tyrone are ‘serious’ contenders for the Sam Maguire this season. In his weekly column with The Sunday World, Spillane wrote, “I think Kerry will be in the mix again this year, even though I don’t necessarily think they will be a better team than last season.“Then why am I so optimistic? My reasoning is very simple – with the exception of Dublin, every other team is on the slide.“At best there are four ‘serious’ contenders for Sam in 2016 – Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and at a stretch Tyrone.”Spillane has been very critical of Donegal in the past – and infamously blasted their style of football in 2011. In the aftermath of Donegal’s All-Ireland semi-final defeat to Dublin that summer – Spillane described Dublin’s win as ‘A victory for football’ and said the style of play on display from Donegal would ‘degenerate the game into a shambles’.Donegal famously proved all their critics including Spillane wrong when they won the All-Ireland title the following season.They were narrowly beaten in the All-Ireland final in 2014 – and lost the Ulster final last season – before exiting the All-Ireland series at the quarter-final juncture to Mayo.Optimism is strong in Donegal – Rory Gallagher’s side have been dealt a much kinder Ulster SFC draw this season as oppose to 2015 – and many feel Donegal will win back the Ulster title they relinquished last season.While others feel they’re well-placed for one last big push with many of their senior players edging towards retirement.However, former Kerry star has run the wrath of Donegal fans by dismissing their chances of challenging. Tyrone haven’t reached a final since 2008, while Mayo haven’t reached a decider since 2013.Donegal won it in 2012, and were beaten in the final in 2014, yet are being excluded from even being in the mix-up by Spillane.Donegal are in Allianz National League action against Down in Newry on Saturday, January 30th.DONEGAL NOT ‘SERIOUS’ CONTENDERS FOR ALL-IRELAND TITLE – SPILLANE was last modified: January 20th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:All-Ireland TitleContendersdonegalGAAnewsPat SpillaneRory GallagherSportlast_img read more