Pope condemns Dhaka ‘slave labour’


first_imgPope Francis spoke out against “only looking to make a profit”Pope Francis has denounced as “slave labour” the conditions of workers caught in a deadly building collapse in Bangladesh last week.More than 400 people are confirmed to have died in the collapse of the Rana Plaza building near the capital, Dhaka.It housed several clothing factories, some supplying Western retailers.At May Day parades in Dhaka, marchers demanded the death penalty for the building’s owner and better conditions for workers.The Pope said he had been shocked by reports that some of the labourers had been paid just 38 euros ($50) a month.“Today in the world this slavery is being committed against something beautiful that God has given us – the capacity to create, to work, to have dignity,” the Pope said at a private Mass. “Not paying a fair wage, not giving a job because you are only looking at balance sheets, only looking to make a profit, that goes against God,” he was quoted as saying by Vatican radio.‘Better safety’At least 410 people are confirmed to have died and more than 140 are missing following the collapse of the eight-storey building a week ago, police and army officials said. Some 2,500 people were injured.It was the country’s worst industrial disaster.More than 30 of those killed, whose bodies have not been identified, were buried in a mass funeral on Wednesday.In Dhaka, an estimated 20,000 people took part in the main May Day march, while separate demonstrations were held in other parts of the capital and elsewhere. “I want the death penalty for the owner of the building,” said one marcher, 18-year-old garment factory worker Mongidul Islam Rana. “We want regular salaries, raises and absolutely we want better safety in our factories.”Others in Dhaka held banners with the words: “Hang the killers, Hang the factory owners.”Speaking at a rally in the industrial township of Narayanganj, the leader of Bangladesh’s main opposition party, Khaleda Zia, alleged that the government was hiding the real casualty figures from the building collapse. She also claimed that if the army had been given control of the rescue operation earlier, more lives could have been saved.The European Union has said it is considering “appropriate action” to encourage improvements in working conditions in Bangladeshi factories.It said its actions might include the use of its trade preference system, which gives Bangladesh duty- and quota-free access to EU markets.Bangladesh’s garment industry makes up almost 80% of the country’s annual exports and provides employment to about four million people.However, it has faced criticism over low pay and limited rights given to workers, and for the often dangerous working conditions in factories.Both Primark, which has a large presence in the UK, and Canadian company Loblaw had clothing made in the Rana Plaza, and have said they will offer aid to victims and their families.Rana Plaza owner Mohammed Sohel Rana, a local leader of the youth wing of the ruling Awami League party, is in police custody.A total of eight people, including factory owners and engineers, have been arrested for alleged negligence.BBC News Tweet Sharing is caring! Share Sharecenter_img FaithInternationalLifestylePrint Pope condemns Dhaka ‘slave labour’ by: – May 1, 2013 Share 68 Views   no discussionslast_img read more

Anthony Joshua Dumps Partying, Returns to Gym


first_imgAnthony Joshua According to Daily Mail, the Nigerian born British boxer has been seen putting in the hard yards at the gym only four days after his victory in Saudi Arabia, before tucking into a calorie-heavy meal after a tough workout.The Olympic champion’s strength and conditioning coach, Sina Ghami, posted to his Instagram footage of AJ performing shoulder rolls on Wednesday night, while other members of his entourage hit the weights.The rigorous gym session was shortly followed by a big meal for the team, with meat, salad and pasta on the menu for the heavyweight champion.Joshua opted to cut down on the carbs before his rematch with Ruiz Jr, in a bid to come in lighter and better conditioned to last the full 12 rounds against the Mexican.And his plan worked a treat. AJ was elusive and boxed smartly for the full 12 rounds to leave The Destroyer chasing shadows and losing his grip on the heavyweight crown.Joshua has since been ordered to face his mandatory challengers by the WBO and IBF. Oleksandr Usyk and Kubrat Pulev are therefore in pole position to secure a shot at AJ next Spring.However, in between his next high profile bout, the boxer is expected to visit Nigeria again, this time to present the world title belts he regained last Saturday to President Muhammad Buhari in Abuja next year.There are also plans to ensure that the boxer will stage one of his future bouts in Nigeria to become the second time a World Heavyweight boxing title bout is staged on the continent of Africa after the 1974 ‘Rumble in the Jungle’ in Congo Democratic Republic then Zaire when Legendary Muhammed Ali regained his title from Goerge Foreman.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Femi Solaja with agency reportWorld Heavyweight Boxing Champion, Anthony Joshua, has cut short the expected vacation from his profession after dominant win over Andy Ruiz Jr, following the decision of the boxer to return the gym in preparation for other tougher challenges ahead.The 30-year-old has business to attend to as he sets out to become the heavyweight king in 2020, with mega bouts against Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder targeted for the WBA, WBO and IBF champion.last_img read more

Minister blames drug shortage on health sector employees


first_img…says electric system will relieve situationIn response to claims of widespread drug shortages across Guyana, Public Health Minister, Volda Lawrence has made it clear that there is no unavailability of medical supplies.Public Health Minister Volda LawrenceAccording to the Minister, drugs are oftentimes available at the various storage facilities in the respective regions, however, it is the responsibility of the public health sector workers to ensure the supplies are requested before they are depleted.Lawrence was at the time responding to questions at the sidelines of an event on Wednesday.“This we have been trying to grapple with and that’s why we are trying to move as quickly as possible to ensure we have electriconise the system, so that persons will be able to see in the system what is happening because many times the drugs and the supplies are there either at the local level at their warehouse or it is at the Ministry’s level and if persons do not make a request then that will not be fulfilled and sometimes we have a lot of system failures where persons don’t do what they’re supposed to in a timely manner,” she explained.Just one week ago, it was reported that medical supplies were lacking in Region One (Barima-Waini). Toshao of Kamwatta Hill, Maurice Henry stated that complaints were being raised by health officials about the shortage of medicines for quite some time.“There is shortage of drugs for a long while. There’s a young health worker who recently started working and he said he hasn’t received any kind of drugs in adequate amounts although they made requests. When the former health worker was there, we used to get complaints about the shortage of drugs,” Henry noted.On July 31, the Ministry’s Public Relations Officer, Terrence Esseboom, confirmed that the country’s premier health institution, the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) ran out of medication to treat malaria. The medication was, however, available but the staff did not make a request for it.The specific drug was not stocked in the main pharmacy so a patient had to endure intense pains and high fever in the hospital’s ward. This could have been avoided if staffers would have requested the treatment earlier from the Vector Control Services, which is a stone’s throw away from GPHC, the PRO explained.last_img read more