Small sailplane may have big impact on UAVs

first_imgEDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE – With the graceful flight of hawks and eagles in mind, NASA aerospace engineer Michael Allen hand-launched a lightweight motorized model sailplane over Rogers Dry Lake, hoping it would catch plumes of rising air called thermals. It did just that numerous times, validating his premise that using thermal lift could significantly extend the range and endurance of small unmanned aerial vehicles without carrying more fuel. “The flights demonstrated that a small UAV can mimic birds and exploit the free energy that exists in the atmosphere,” Allen said. Allen noted that a small, portable UAV with long-endurance capabilities could fulfill a number of surveillance roles including forest fire monitoring, traffic control and search and rescue. He said this technology might also have an application to flight on Mars where dust devils have been observed. Nicknamed Cloud Swift after a bird known for feeding on insects found in rising air masses, the 14-foot-wingspan remote-controlled RnR Products sailplane flew 17 times over an eight-week period from July through mid-September. The model sailplane was modified to incorporate a small electric motor and an autopilot, the latter reprogrammed to detect thermals or updrafts. Dryden aerospace technician Tony Frackowiak guided the model to an altitude of about 1,000 feet and then handed off control to the sailplane’s autopilot. The software flew the aircraft on a predetermined course over the northern portion of Rogers Dry Lake until it detected an updraft. As the aircraft rose, the engine automatically shut off and the aircraft circled to stay within the convective lift resulting from the updraft. “I have some experience flying radio-controlled sailplanes and working the lift manually as an RC pilot. The autopilot looked like it was doing a good job of detecting and using the lift in certain conditions,” said Frackowiak. Allen said the small UAV added 60 minutes to its endurance by soaring autonomously, using thermals that formed over the dry lake bed. The model gained an average altitude in 23 updrafts of 565 feet, and in one strong thermal ascended 2,770 feet. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

FEMA agent begged for Katrina aid

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WASHINGTON (AP) – In the midst of the chaos that followed Hurricane Katrina, a Federal Emergency Management Agency official in New Orleans sent a dire e-mail to Director Michael Brown saying victims had no food and were dying. No response came from Brown. Instead, less than three hours later, an aide to Brown sent an e-mail saying her boss wanted to go on a television program that night – after needing at least an hour to eat dinner at a Baton Rouge, La., restaurant. The e-mails were made public Thursday at a Senate Homeland Security Committee hearing featuring Marty Bahamonde, the first agency official to arrive in New Orleans in advance of the Aug. 29 storm. The hurricane killed more than 1,200 people and forced hundreds of thousands to evacuate. Bahamonde, who sent the e-mail to Brown two days after the storm struck, said the correspondence illustrates the government’s failure to grasp what was happening. “There was a systematic failure at all levels of government to understand the magnitude of the situation,” Bahamonde testified. “The leadership from top down in our agency is unprepared and out of touch.” The 19 pages of internal FEMA e-mails show Bahamonde gave regular updates to people in contact with Brown as early as Aug. 28, the day before Katrina made landfall. They appear to contradict Brown, who has said he was not fully aware of the conditions until days after the storm hit. Brown quit after being recalled from New Orleans amid criticism of his work. Brown had sent Bahamonde, FEMA’s regional director in New England, to New Orleans to help coordinate the agency’s response. Bahamonde arrived on Aug. 27 and was the only FEMA official at the scene until FEMA disaster teams arrived on Aug. 30. As Katrina’s outer bands began drenching the city Aug. 28, Bahamonde sent an e-mail to Deborah Wing, a FEMA response specialist. He wrote: “Everyone is soaked. This is going to get ugly real fast.” Subsequent e-mails told of an increasingly desperate situation at the New Orleans Superdome, where tens of thousands of evacuees were staying. Bahamonde spent two nights there with the evacuees. On Aug. 31, Bahamonde e-mailed Brown to tell him that thousands of evacuees were gathering in the streets with no food or water and that “estimates are many will die within hours.” “Sir, I know that you know the situation is past critical,” Bahamonde wrote. “The sooner we can get the medical patients out, the sooner we can get them out.” A short time later, Brown’s press secretary, Sharon Worthy, wrote colleagues to complain that the FEMA director needed more time to eat dinner at a Baton Rouge restaurant that evening. “He needs much more that (sic) 20 or 30 minutes,” Worthy wrote. “Restaurants are getting busy,” she said. “We now have traffic to encounter to go to and from a location of his choise (sic), followed by wait service from the restaurant staff, eating, etc. Thank you.” In an Aug. 29 phone call to Brown informing him that the first levee had failed, Bahamonde said he asked for guidance but did not get a response. “He just said, ‘Thank you,’ and that he was going to call the White House,” Bahamonde said. Senators on the committee were dismayed. “We will examine further why critical information provided by Mr. Bahamonde was either discounted, misunderstood, or simply not acted upon,” said GOP Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, who heads the committee. She decried the “complete disconnect between senior officials and the reality of the situation.” Connecticut Sen. Joseph Lieberman, committee’s top Democrat, said Bahamonde’s story is “ultimately infuriating and raises serious questions which our committee’s investigation must answer.” In e-mails, Bahamonde described to his bosses a chaotic situation at the Superdome. Bahamonde noted also that local officials were asking for toilet paper, a sign that supplies were lacking at the shelter. “Issues developing at the Superdome. The medical staff at the dome says they will run out of oxygen in about two hours and are looking for alternative oxygen,” Bahamonde wrote regional director David Passey on Aug. 28. Bahamonde said he was stunned that FEMA officials responded by continuing to send truckloads of evacuees to the Superdome for two more days even though they knew supplies were in short supply. “I thought it amazing,” he said. “I believed at the time and still do today, that I was confirming the worst-case scenario that everyone had always talked about regarding New Orleans.” At a separate congressional hearing, lawmakers considering Louisiana’s request for $32 billion for Gulf Coast rebuilding were told that Mississippi would need tens of billions of dollars of its own to restore its coastline. Gulf Coast lawmakers and state officials have been pushing for vast infusions of federal aid since Katrina hit. “It will be in the billions, with a ‘b,’ level, it may be in the tens of billions; it won’t be in the hundreds of billions,” William W. Walker, head of the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources, told a House Transportation and Infrastructure subcommittee. But Rep. John J. Duncan Jr., the subcommittee chairman, earlier had said Congress cannot afford Louisiana’s request. “This is just not going to happen,” said Duncan, R-Tenn.last_img read more