BREAKING: GECOM tells President no elections before November 2019


first_imgGECOM Chairman Justice James Patterson today wrote President David Granger, informing him that General and Regional Elections cannot be held before late November 2019.This is even though GECOM is constitutionally mandated to hold elections within three months of the passage of a no-confidence motion against the Government and in this case, that deadline expires in just a few days.In the letter dispatched to the Head-of-State, the GECOM Chair explained that since the Elections Body is continuing with its normal work programme, that is, the holding of House-to-House registration, it will need some $3.5B to host elections.GECOM Chairman retiredJustice James PattersonIn this regard, the GECOM Chair said “no election date should be contemplated less than five months after these funds are placed at the disposal of and under the control of GECOM”.More details in the Tuesday, March 19, 2019 edition of the Guyana Times.last_img read more

BUNCRANA COLAISTE GIVEN EXTENSION OF TIME TO GET NUMBERS UP


first_imgThe Department of Education has granted an extension of time to allow a Buncrana school to remain open.Coláiste Chineál Eoghain had been threatened with closure in recent weeks because of low numbers of pupils.But CEO of the Donegal Vocational Education Committee Shaun Purcell has revealed the school will remain open. “I am delighted to confirm that the Department of Education & Skills has granted an Extension of the provisional recognition to Coláiste Chineál Eoghain for the 2013/2014 School year.“The Department has included a number of provisos including a yearly review.“I would like to thank everybody for the hard work, support and assistance that was provided in making our Appeal to the Department,” he said.The move has been welcomed by Senator Jimmy Harte. ” I am delighted to confirm that the Department of Education & Skills has granted an Extension of the provisional recognition to Coláiste Chineál Eoghain for the 2013/2014 School year.“The parents and teachers together with the local public reps were united in their efforts and they have been vindicated in their efforts today .“Cllr Martin Farren and myself spoke with Minister Quinn on the issue and it gives the school a chance to get established in Inishowen as it’s the only Colaiste in the peninsula.“It’s a good news story and I must may tribute to VEC CEO Mr Shaun Purcell who made a great pitch to the Dept and they took on all the concerns and information and thankfully came to a sensible conclusion.“I look forward to seeing Coláiste Chineál Eoghain expand and blossom into the future ” Inishowen Sinn Féin representatives, Pádraig Mac Lochlainn, Jack Murray, Ciaran McLaughlin & Mary Kelly have welcomed confirmation.In a joint statement, the Sinn Féin team said: “This is fantastic news for all those involved in the campaign for Colaiste Chineal Eoghain.“We congratulate Shaun Purcell, the parents’ committee, the teachers and all those who put in a huge effort to ensure a future for Irish language education in Inishowen.“All those involved now need to continue efforts to ensure that this becomes a permanent solution. “Sinn Féin representatives will continue to do everything we can, in every forum, protect and grow Colaiste Chineal Eoghain.”BUNCRANA COLAISTE GIVEN EXTENSION OF TIME TO GET NUMBERS UP was last modified: May 16th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:buncranaColaiste Chine EoghainVEClast_img read more