April 27, 2021 Find out more March 12, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts News ChinaAsia – Pacific March 18, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Reporters Without Borders calls for boycott of Beijing Olympics opening ceremony News News News Reporters Without Borders today urged heads of state, heads of government and members of royal families to boycott the 8 August opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympic Games because of the Chinese government’s mounting human rights violations and the glaring lack of freedom in China.“China has not kept any of the promises it made in 2001 when it was chosen to host these Olympics,” the press freedom organisation said. “Instead, the government is crushing the Tibetan protests and is imposing a news blackout, while Hu Jia, a tireless human rights campaigner, is facing a possible five-year prison sentence at the end of a summary and unfair trial.“Politicians throughout the world cannot remain silent about this situation. We call on them to voice their disapproval of China’s policies by announcing their intention not to attend the opening of the Olympic Games. Britain’s Prince Charles has already said he will not go to Beijing on 8 August. Others should follow suit.“Calling for a complete boycott of the Olympic Games is not a good solution. The aim is not to deprive athletes of the world’s biggest sports event or to deprive the public of the spectacle. But it would be outrageous not to firmly demonstrate one’s disagreement with the Chinese government’s policies and not to show solidarity with the thousands of victims of this authoritarian regime.“The only improvement in press freedom that had been seen was a relaxation in January 2007 of the rules under which foreign journalists are obliged to operate in China. The news blackout on Tibet and the expulsion of foreign reporters who were in the area have swept away what was the only positive measure.“All those who think Olympics should go hand in hand with respect for human rights are also urged to insist that the International Olympic Committee take a stand,” Reporters Without Borders added. “The IOC is clearly not a political tool but it is the guarantor of the Olympic spirit and it cannot continue to display such passivity in the face of these flagrant violations of a people’s basic rights. Going further down this road would end up signifying a degree of complicity with the Chinese government.”Around 100 journalists, Internet users and cyber-dissidents are currently imprisoned in China just for expressing their views peacefully. Journalists have been banned from visiting Tibet since 12 March and have been expelled from neighbouring provinces. The crackdown on protests by Tibetans is taking place behind closed doors.Chinese journalists continue to be subject to the dictates of the Publicity Department (the former Propaganda Department), which imposes censorship on a wide range of subjects. The government and party continue to control news and information and have authoritarian laws to punish violators.Charges of subversion, disseminating state secrets or spying are often brought against journalists and cyber-dissidents. Self-censorship is the rule in news organisations. Independent Chinese-language media based abroad are blocked, harassed or jammed, preventing the emergence of diversity in news and information.Crackdown in Tibet away from the eye of the media Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes Reporters Without Borders today urged heads of state, heads of government and members of royal families to boycott the 8 August opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympic Games because of the Chinese government’s mounting human rights violations and the glaring lack of freedom in China. June 2, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Organisation ChinaAsia – Pacific China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison to go further China’s Cyber Censorship Figures Follow the news on China
Home » News » NALS says Shelter campaign to expose discriminatory letting agents is ’emotive conjecture’ previous nextRegulation & LawNALS says Shelter campaign to expose discriminatory letting agents is ’emotive conjecture’Criticism of the campaign by NALS follows two leading agents being ‘outed’ by undercover researchers for refusing outright or making it difficult for housing benefit tenants to apply for tenancies.NIgel Lewis22nd August 20181 Comment1,336 Views A campaign kicked off today by Shelter to end discrimination against tenants on housing benefits by letting agents has been criticised by NALS as ‘vilifying’ agents and being ‘emotive conjecture’.The campaign, which claims that preventing tenants from renting homes because they are on benefits is scandalous and potentially illegal, has named branches of Ludlow Thompson and also Haart as having issues with these tenants.Shelter and the NHF’s campaign has now featured on the Victoria Derbyshire programme on BBC1, the Today Programme on BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio 5 Live this morning.On Radio 4’s Today programme the National Landlords Association’s Chief Executive Richard Lambert (left) was asked to comment on the allegation that Ludlow Thompson operates an outright ban across its business.“I think it’s disturbing – I believe there is a great deal of difference between saying ‘I am not even going to consider you for a tenancy because you are on benefits’ and saying ‘I’ve credit referenced you and looking at your income, I am not convinced you are capable of paying the rent regularly enough’,” he said.“That happens a lot because benefit levels have not kept up with rent increases after being frozen in 2011.”ProfessionalsNALS has today got behind letting agents, saying that the majority of them are professionals and skilled at managing housing benefit and universal credit tenancies.“Many agents help prospective and existing tenants obtain access to the benefits they are entitled to,” says Isobel Thomson, CEO of NALS (right).“An assumption that there is widespread discrimination, particularly of women and disabled people on benefits, is emotive conjecture and fails to paint an accurate picture of the sector. In some areas tenants on benefits form agents’ client base.“Vilification of letting agents and landlords will not resolve housing problems where the provision of sufficient social housing is at the heart of the matter. The complexity of the benefits system and delays in payment add to the difficulties.”NLA NALS National Landlords Association National Housing Federation Isobel Thomson Shelter August 22, 2018Nigel LewisOne commentLynn McMurdo, Castlebrae Sales and Letting Ltd Castlebrae Sales and Letting Ltd 27th August 2018 at 4:56 pmOn the subject of discrimination. As a responsible agent trying to help some prospective tenants I called Shelter for some further advice. The response we got was “we don’t deal with agents”. Pot and kettle springs to mind!Log in to ReplyWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021
LEON Seaton splashed off Guyana’s participation in the 2019 FINA World Aquatics Championships with a personal best in the 50M butterfly on Sunday (Saturday night Guyana time) in Gwangju, South Korea.Seaton, the youngest of a three-swimmer team, clocked 28.54s.The 15-year-old finished second in Heat 3; unfortunately, due to the high level of competition at the meet, he did not qualify for the semi-finals. Overall, he finished with a better time than 17 swimmers at the meet.Prior to the swim, the teen’s best time in the 50M fly was 28.73s.Beside Seaton, top senior swimmers, Andrew Fowler and Jamila Sanmoogan, are also at the meet, along with Chairman of GASA’s Technical Committee, Sean Baksh, who travelled as Manager/Coach, and GASA President, Ivan Persaud.Persaud is at the Championships to attend the General Congress of FINA and other pertinent meetings.Fowler, 23, who is attending the Spire Institute in Ohio, will swim the 100M freestyle and the 50M freestyle on July 24th and 26th (South Korea is 13 hours ahead of Guyana). Also, this week Sanmoogan, 22, who is on a scholarship in Colombia, will swim the 50M butterfly and the 50M freestyle, while Seaton will compete in the 50M backstroke.Seaton, who got past swimmers from Sudan, Benin, Solomon Islands, Palau, Rwanda, Cameroon, Djibouti and Yemen in Heat 3 in the butterfly, was praised by his coach.“His start was excellent, his reaction time was very good, he is ranked with the fastest starters,” Baksh told Chronicle Sport after the race.“He will go far, he’s only 15 and he’s matching his skills with the best in the world.”
New signing Jordan Cousins is among QPR’s substitutes for tonight’s friendly. Goalkeeper Alex Smithies, meanwhile, has recovered from injury and makes his first appearance of Rangers’ pre-season campaign.None of QPR’s three other summer signings will be involved. Jake Bidwell sits the game out, Joel Lynch has been nursing a hamstring problem, and Ariel Borysiuk has been sidelined by an ankle injury.QPR: Smithies; Onuoha, Caulker, Hall, Perch; Henry, Luongo; Gladwin, Chery; Shodipo; Polter. Subs: Ingram, Kpekawa, Furlong, Cousins, Doughty, El Khayati, Emmanuel-Thomas.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
18 October 2013 The Gautrain Management Agency, which operates the rapid rail link between Johannesburg, Pretoria and OR Tambo International Airport, has proposed seven new routes along identified “high-mobility corridors” in South Africa’s busiest province. The new proposed routes form part of Gauteng province’s 25-year Integrated Transport Master Plan, which Transport MEC Ismail Vadi unveiled in August. Presenting the proposed routes in Midrand, north of Johannesburg on Thursday, Gautrain CEO Jack van der Merwe said the first proposed extension would see a link between Sandton and Randburg via Honeydew in northern Johannesburg being constructed. This would be followed by a link from Ruimsig to Samrand via Blue Hills, Sunninghill, Fourways, Cosmo City and Ruimsig, followed by a link between Samrand and Tshwane East via Irene, followed by a link from the existing Rhodesfield Station to Boksburg via the East Rand Mall. The fifth extension would be between the existing Johannesburg Park Station and Westgate via the CBD, the sixth would link Naledi in Soweto, south of Johannesburg, with Ruimsig, and seventh would link Tshwane East and Mamelodi. Van der Merwe said this remained a proposal until it had received buy-in from other local municipalities and eventually from the Cabinet. “The intension is to have [the Integrated Transport Master Plan] approved by the province and all local authorities before the end of 2013. Key to the [plan] is to prioritise public transport, with the rail system being the backbone of the transport network.” Once the Master Plan had been approved by Cabinet, Van der Merwe, feasibility studies, route designs and costings would follow. The Master Plan envisions that, with the population in Gauteng projected to grow by millions within the next few years, a shift should be made from private vehicles to public transport and non-motorised transport, and in the long term, from road to rail. The Master Plan will also foster a partnership between the Gauteng Department of Roads and Transport, the Gautrain Management Agency and the Passenger Rail Agency of SA to develop and extend the rail network into an intergraded and efficient transport system. This, Van der Merwe said, would lead to the development of modern modal transfer facilities at Metrorail commuter stations. With e-tolls set to be introduced on some of Gauteng’s freeways, Vadi said the Gautrain – which now ferries 52 000 people a day or 1.2-million people a year – was a good alternative. He said the train has fast gained popularity and growth as a highly reliable mode of transport, and urged residents to park their cars and hop on the train. Source: SAnews.gov.za
Delhi University provides admission to students excelling not only academically but also to those good in sports. Each college is required to reserve minimum 5 per cent sports quota in all undergraduate courses although the college may decide the actual number of seats offered under the quota. Students are selected for admission via sports quota in two ways: direct admission or through sports trials.Sports Quota Admissions:I. Direct admission by the college without trialsSports persons who have participated / represented the country in the following competition(s) are eligible for direct admission to the college without any trial. Olympic Games by IOCWorld Championships under International Sports Federations (IOA and / or MYAS recognised / affiliated games)Asian Games by Olympic Council of AsiaAsian Championships organized International Federation of Concerned game (recognised / affiliated by MYAS and / or IOA)Commonwealth Games, S.A.F. Games and Afro-Asian Games.Paralympic Games (recognised/affiliated by IOC and / or MYAS)II. Admission based on Sports TrialsCandidates can also be selected for admission through the sports quota through a 50-marks sports trial test which includes skill test, game performance test, game specific fitness, and fundamentals of the game / sport etc. Minimum 18 marks are required in the sports trial for admission under sports quota. Aspirants need to clear any two of the following fitness tests:1. Strength: Standing broad Jump: 1.65 metres for Men and 1.15 metres for women2. Endurance: 1,000 metres run/walk: 5 minutes for men, 6 minutes for women3. Speed 50 metres dash: 8 seconds for men, 9 seconds for womenOR If a student is applying under sports quota for chess, Archery or shooting he/she will need to qualify for any one of following fitness tests: 1. 50-metre dash2. Standing broad jump3. 1,000 m race/walkadvertisementAspirants are advised to contact the concerned college for details.
The Brazilian goalkeeper believes the only way the Reds can become champions at the end of the season is by winning everything and not looking back.Liverpool is currently in the first place of the English Premier League standings.The Reds are three points ahead, with 62 points, of current champions Manchester City.But for the team’s goalkeeper, Brazilian footballer Alisson, the only way to win the competition is by winning all of the matches.“We have to be prepared to fight everything,” Alisson said to Goal.com“All the adverse circumstances that come our way.”“I believe our team is on the right track. Now we do not have much room for hesitation. If we want to be champions, we have to win everything from now on,” he added.“I believe we had glimpses into the game. Some moments of insecurity.”Virgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.“We started ahead. [But] from the moment we started to miss some passes – some silly passes that we are not used to missing – I think the team lost a little confidence in the match. I think the opposing team also gained confidence,” he explained.“We have confidence,” Alisson’s compatriot Fabinho added.“We enjoyed a brilliant December, which was almost perfect, but now we have had this dip.”“It is difficult to explain why this has happened. I believe that now teams who play against us sit very deep. We need to do things a little differently and maybe we aren’t doing this – we are unable to find the spaces,” Fabinho said.“Often, we want to go through the middle and it is difficult against physically strong and defensive teams. We need to find solutions and in these past few games we haven’t.”Alisson Becker on Instagram. pic.twitter.com/ViR59NtJCR— LFC Round Up (@LFCroundup) January 30, 2019
Kolkata: Huge traffic congestion occurred on Eastern Metropolitan Bypass (E M Bypass) after a container carrier goods vehicle hit the height guard of Chingrihata Flyover on Thursday afternoon.Almost after 30 minutes, police succeeded to remove the container carrier. But till then, the tail of the congestion reached Tagore Park area on E M Bypass and above Gobinda Khatik Road on Maa Flyover.Locals said around 2:50 pm on Thursday a ten wheeler container carrier goods vehicle tried to avail Chingrihata Flyover. Though there were several signage boards and flexes put up by police saying no heavy vehicle is allowed on the Flyover — height barrier is in place. Despite the signage boards, the driver somehow failed to notice those. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeThe driver drove towards Chingrihata Flyover. As soon as the container carrier reached the approach road of the Flyover, it hit the height barrier at a good speed. Immediately, the height barrier came down on the vehicle damaging the driver’s cabin badly. The driver of the container carrier, Debashish Gupta, received severe mutiple injuries as a result. Police from Beliaghata Traffic Guard came and started the rescue operation.Sources informed that with the help of locals police managed to recover Gupta and admitted him to a private hospital near Kadapara. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedAccording to the police, his condition is very critical. Later almost after half an hour, the container carrier was removed from the accident spot using a heavy crane. The traffic situation remained messed up until it was moved. The Maa Flyover was packed with cars. Within 10 minutes, the traffic congestion reached Gobinda Khatik Road crossing on Maa Flyover. The North bound vehicles on E M Bypass got choked. The tail of the traffic congestion reached Tagore Park area near Ruby crossing. Sources said immediately traffic sergeants of Beliaghata and Tiljala traffic guards were deputed along E M Bypass to control the situation.It took almost two and a half hours to normalise the traffic. The vehicle has been handed over to Pragati Maidan Police Station for necessary action. Police are yet to obtain the details of the owner of the container carrier. He will be called as soon as the investigators get hold of the owner’s address and phone number.