Brazil Busts Rio Gang Made of Police, Councillors


first_imgBy Dialogo December 28, 2010 Brazilian police have busted a feared criminal gang which killed at least 50 people and counted more than a dozen officers and some municipal councillors in its ranks, officials said on 22 December. Twenty-five members of the 34-strong gang were arrested the day before on warrants based on wiretaps that found the organization sold weapons to drug dealers in a nest of Rio slums that was cleared by police and soldiers last month. The two local councillors of the Duque de Caxias neighborhood were suspected of running the para-police outfit, while the 13 policemen arrested were part of its “muscle” thought to have carried out hits. “The gang worked like a real criminal enterprise, with roles defined for each member. There were managers and hitmen,” the police chief in charge of the arrests, Alexandre Capote, told media. The gang was one of several comprising police officers that operate in Rio’s notoriously violent and lawless slums. They started activities in late 2006, as militias that forced out local gangs then took over to run extortion rackets. The Duque de Caxias outfit is suspected of killing 50 people, and earning 150,000 dollars a month by illegally selling television cable connections, gas and land to residents, Capote said. According to a former captain in Rio’s elite police unit, the Special Operations Battalion, police-manned militias are present in more than 100 of the city’s 250 worst slums.last_img read more

Beckham confirms Inter Miami’s interest in Messi,Ronaldo


first_img Promoted ContentThe Most Exciting Cities In The World To Visit7 Things That Actually Ruin Your Phone7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The Universe7 Mind-Boggling Facts About Black HolesWhat Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?6 Incredibly Strange Facts About HurricanesWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?Can Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks Beckham’s club play their first-ever MLS game at the weekend when they take on LAFC in Los Angeles. The former Manchester United and England star has been linked with brining some of the biggest names in world football to Miami. And Beckham admits he would like to bring the likes of Ronaldo and Messi across then pond. He said: “We really believe in the roster we have, the players that we have we’re really happy with but we have also talked about if we have the opportunity to bring in big name players from Europe into our city we will do that. “But we always talked about us being different from any other team, which I am sure every other owner says exactly the same thing. “So that’s what we will try to do and if we have the opportunity to bring big name players in then great we’re lucky we have an ownership group that has that vision and wants to succeed and has that competitiveness where we want the best players.” Beckham plans to have a hands-on role at the club alongside co-owner Jorge Mas. The 44-year-old, who also played for Real Madrid , AC Milan and LA Galaxy during his career, insists he’s in it for the long haul. He added: “When you talk about hands on there is no bigger hands on owners than you are looking at right now. “Our whole ownership group is hands on. That will continue because we care. Read Also:Ronaldo, Messi tipped to retire at David Beckham’s Inter Miami “This is not a vanity project it is a legacy for us, for our families. “I want to create a legacy that my children can turn around in 20 years and say my dad built this club.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 David Beckham has confirmed his interest in bringing Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo to Inter Miami. Loading… last_img read more