COA Remands Child Support CaseOlivia Covington for www.theindianalawyer.comAn Indiana trial court did not err in finding a Marion County father is voluntarily underemployed, yet it failed to consider evidence of the father’s prevailing job opportunities or earnings level, the Indiana Court of Appeals found Monday.In Mark H. Miller, II v. Leigh Anne Miller, 49A02-1604-DR-817, Mark and Leigh Anne Miller had four children together, and Leigh Anne Miller served as the primary caregiver for her children until 2009. When Mark Miller lost his job in 2010, he became the primary caregiver while also enrolling as a part-time college student.When Leigh Anne Miller filed for divorce in 2014, Mark Miller was still a part-time student who worked 15 hours a week and shared living expenses with his girlfriend. When the dissolution decree was issued in 2016, the Marion Superior Court found that Mark Miller had been voluntarily underemployed since losing his job and imputed his income at the rate of $600 per week based on his prior earning level and voluntary underemployment.Thus, Mark Miller was ordered to pay $97 per week in child support. After his motion to correct was denied, Miller appealed, challenging the finding that he is voluntarily underemployed.Judge Terry Crone, writing for a panel of the Indiana Court of Appeals, said in a Monday opinion the trial court’s finding as to Mark Miller’s underemployment was not clearly erroneous, noting at the time of the final hearing he was a part-time student, but that he is no longer the children’s primary caretaker. Thus, a “reasonable inference can be drawn that the time Father spent in his caretaking function is now available for other purposes, yet he is only working fifteen hours a week,” Crone said.However, the appellate panel did remand the case to the trial court on the issue of Mark Miller’s imputed income. While the trial court properly considered Miller’s work history and occupational qualifications, Crone wrote that there was no evidence in the record regarding prevailing job opportunities for Miller or earning levels in his community.The COA’s instructions included the discretion to “reevaluate and adjust other determinations regarding child support in the dissolution decree” after the hearing.FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail
By Marcos Ommati/Diálogo August 16, 2018 U.S. Secretary of Defense James Mattis visited South America for the first time. His first stop August 13, 2018 was Brazil, where he held meetings with Brazilian Defense Minister Joaquim Silva e Luna and Foreign Affairs Minister Aloysio Nunes Ferreira, in Brasília. The topics of discussion included alternatives to further science and technology, political-military, and defense-industry cooperation to increase commerce between both partner nations. Mattis’s trip to Latin America follows a visit by U.S. Navy Admiral John Richardson, chief of Naval Operations, to Colombia, Chile, Argentina, and Brazil. About a month before Richardson’s visit, U.S. Vice President Mike Pence also spent a week in South America. Speech at the Brazilian Army War College “I am here to make a down payment on our shared destiny as the hemisphere’s two largest democracies, and as defenders of our inter-American values: respect for fundamental human rights, the rule of law, and peace,” said Mattis during a visit to the Brazilian Army War College in Rio de Janeiro, August 14th. “The peoples of the Americas have a right to democracy and their governments have an obligation to promote and defend it.” Citing U.S.-Latin American relations as an example of long-term partnership, Mattis said the success and security of future generations depends on “how well we build trust at every level with our Western Hemisphere allies and partners today. America seeks to earn your trust daily; we want to be your partner of choice in this shared effort.” Mattis reminisced on World War II to emphasize the U.S.-Brazil partnership. American soldiers fought side-by-side with the Brazilian Expeditionary Force in Monte Castello, Italy, and the Brazilian Navy escorted more than 3,000 merchant ships –and lost only three. “Our native languages may differ, but four decades of military service have persuaded me that the profession of arms has a language of its own and a way of turning strangers into family,” said the retired U.S. Marine Corps general. Transformation in defense relationship In April 2018, Mattis directed his staff to enhance the U.S. defense relationship with Brazil, and build on the solid foundation already in place. “It happened after I picked up the phone and heard Minister Silva e Luna’s voice on the other end. He talked; I listened. When our call ended, I made that decision,” he explained. Mattis also talked about the broader military relationship Brazil and the United States share, as well as in research, “especially in space,” he highlighted. The two countries are negotiating an agreement to allow the United States to launch satellites from the Alcântara Launch Center, a facility operated by the Brazilian Air Force at the Brazilian Space Agency in Alcântara, state of Maranhão, in Brazil’s northern Atlantic coast. “We choose Brazil not because it lies along the equator, in a happy accident of geography, but because we want to work with Brazilians—people whose values we share. Outside actors cannot credibly say the same.” After all, he highlighted, Brazil is a worldwide leader as seen in their role in demining missions in Central and South America, and peacekeeping missions in Haiti, Lebanon, and Africa. Furthering military sales Mattis stated that the United States sees a future in military sales with Latin America. “America’s Foreign Military Sales program is second to none. Nations can freely choose to purchase where they wish and we respect that. After all, friends do not demand you choose among them. America is not looking to make quick cash; we are looking to earn and keep friends.” At the conclusion of his speech, Mattis answered questions from the audience. One asked if creating a sixth U.S. military branch, the Space Force, wouldn’t equate to militarizing space. Mattis argued that China already developed a weapon that can destroy satellites. He was also asked about U.S. operations in the South China Sea, and about territorial disputes between Beijing and its neighboring countries. Those are some of his and the U.S. Department of State’s priorities, he said, to keep the region peaceful and expect more transparency from the Chinese in international relations. Following his visit to the War College, Secretary Mattis visited the World War II Memorial, in Aterro do Flamengo. Mattis assumed office in January 2017.
But the 2015-16 champions have struggled this season and are third from bottom of the table with a single league win.Leicester vice chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha said on Tuesday: “Craig has been a great servant to Leicester City – during his spells as an assistant manager and since taking over as manager in challenging circumstances in February.“His dedication to the club and to his work has been absolute and the contribution he made to the most successful period in Leicester City history is considerable.“However, our early promise under Craig’s management has not been consistently evident in the months since and the Board feels that, regrettably, a change is necessary to keep the club moving forward – consistent with the long-term expectations of our supporters, board and owners.“Craig is and will remain a very popular, respected figure at Leicester City and will be welcome back at King Power Stadium in future, both professionally and as a friend of the Club.”Former Blackburn and Portsmouth boss Michael Appleton, who had been working as Shakespeare’s assistant, will be Leicester’s caretaker Manager for Saturday’s Premier League trip to Swansea.Among the bookmakers’ early favourites for the job are former England boss Sam Allardyce, who left Crystal Palace at the end of last season, Wales coach Chris Coleman, Burnley manager Sean Dyche and Zenit St Petersburg chief Roberto Mancini.Shakespeare’s appointment earlier this year had sparked a striking upturn in form that saw Leicester secure their Premier League status and reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League.But Monday’s 1-1 home draw with West Bromwich Albion saw Leicester’s winless Premier League run reach six matches — the same as when Ranieri was sacked.Shakespeare had no previous managerial experience when he stepped into the hot-seat following Ranieri’s dismissal, which came with Leicester a point above the relegation zone.But he inspired the team to five straight league wins and they finished the season in a respectable 12th place.Shakespeare was given around £60 million ($79 million, 67 million euros) to spend on players in the summer transfer window and splashed out on striker Kelechi Iheanacho, Harry Maguire and Vicente Iborra.But Leicester’s only Premier League win came against newly promoted Brighton in August.Their only other points have been picked up in draws against Huddersfield, Bournemouth and West Brom, while Shakespeare oversaw wins against Sheffield United and Liverpool in the League Cup.He is the second managerial casualty of the Premier League season following the dismissal of Frank de Boer from the Crystal Palace job.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Leicester City sacked manager Craig Shakespeare after just four months in charge of the former Premier League champions, British media reported © AFP/File / Oli SCARFFLONDON, United Kingdom, Oct 17 – Leicester City have confirmed the sacking of Craig Shakespeare, just four months after handing him a permanent contract to manage the former Premier League champions.Shakespeare, 53, was promoted from his role as assistant coach on an interim basis following the shock dismissal of Claudio Ranieri in February and in June he was handed a three-year contract.