Amateur Swimming Association of Jamaica vice-president Lance Rochester remains optimistic of a bright future for Jamaica’s water polo programme following success at last weekend’s CARIFTA Championships in The Bahamas.Rochester, who led his charges successfully to gold, silver and bronze medals at the April 7-9 event, called the tournament “an excellent competition”, and Jamaica’s showing, “excellent exposure for the teams”.”We hadn’t been to the CARIFTA Games for a couple years, due to mainly financial reasons, but we are here now, and we are coming back with a gold medal, a silver and bronze,” Rochester outlined.”Overall, it was an excellent tournament, and the players are very excited for the future,” added Rochester.PROUD OF PERFORMANCEUnder-19 boys’ team captain Keith Jordon Wilkinson is very proud of their performance.His team remained undefeated in the tournament, copping gold. They defeated The Bahamas 10-9 in the final, with the hosts coming back to give them a stout challenge for gold.They previously won all three preliminary games, beating hosts Bahamas 16-13, Barbados 18-7 and Bonaire 17-1.They outclassed Bonaire 30-2 in their semi-final, before edging The Bahamas for the all important gold.”We are very excited about winning. We gave our all, and we tried our best and we just thank all the people who came out to support.”We look forward to going to tournaments in the future, and we hope that we can get some more support,” added Wilkinson.Meanwhile, the Under-19 Girls had to settle for silver in the finals, however, going down to champions Trinidad and Tobago 4-0 in a low-scoring final game.They beat Barbados twice (11-2 then 17-2 in the semi-finals) to reach the final.In Under-16 competition Jamaica’s boys bounced back from a disappointing start to earn bronze after a nail-biting 7-6 win over Trinidad and Tobago.They lost two close preliminary games to The Bahamas (10-9) and Barbados (11-10), but managed to beat Bonaire 15-3.
“I was just waiting for a reaction from somebody.” Ryan Getzlaf and Teemu Selanne scored for the Ducks in the shootout, and Paul Kariya scored for Nashville. Erat, attempting to send the shootout to a fourth round, beat Giguere high and to the glove side. The puck hit nothing but iron, however. Erat’s miss enabled the Pacific Division-leading Ducks to sneak away with a come-from-behind victory that extended their lead to eight points over the second-place Dallas Stars. Western Conference-leading Nashville was without Jason Arnott (flu-like symptoms), Peter Forsberg (upper body injury), Scott Hartnell (broken foot), David Legwand (upper body) and Steve Sullivan (back spasms). For the Ducks, second in the West, winning their first division title means avoiding a possible first-round playoff matchup against the Predators. For a while Sunday, it looked as if Giguere might cost them a game. He gave up questionable goals by Nashville’s Kimmo Timonen and J.P. Dumont and the Ducks faced a 2-0 deficit by the end of the first period. “The first goal was deflected, so it was a tough play,” Giguere said. “The second goal was a bad goal. Things will happen. We’re all human and we make mistakes.” Selanne scored on a breakaway 1:04 into the second period, George Parros earned a decision over Nashville’s Darcy Hordichuk in an entertaining fight 30 seconds later and the Ducks soon seized control of the game. Dustin Penner’s deflection of Chris Pronger’s shot from the left point tied the score at 2-all at 3:26 of the third period. [email protected] (310) 540-4201 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! He had been bailed out again during the Ducks’ 3-2 shootout victory over the Nashville Predators on Sunday night at Honda Center. “I heard the puck hit the post, but I wasn’t sure if it was off the post and in or off the post and out,” Giguere said after Martin Erat’s shot in the third and final round of the shootout struck the right post and caromed away. ANAHEIM – Goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere heard the puck clang off the goal post behind him, but wasn’t immediately sure whether that was a good or bad thing. Giguere then saw his teammates on the bench erupt in celebration. He heard the roar of a sellout crowd and finally raised his arms in a delayed reaction of joy and relief.
The plan lists staffing goals for each of the FAA’s 314 air traffic control facilities. It shows that staffing at the LAX tower is on the low end of what the agency considers adequate. “We can operate safely in that range,” said William Withycombe, administrator of the FAA’s Western-Pacific region. But, he added, “it’s our intent to bring in new controllers.” The controllers union has repeatedly said low staffing is a key factor in near-collisions and airfield crashes. Union leaders say overworked controllers are more prone to distraction, fatigue and mistakes. The staffing plan released Wednesday indicates the LAX tower should have at least 38 controllers on staff. It currently has 40, according to the FAA, but at least two or three are planning to retire by the fall. Nearly half of the controllers at LAX are already putting in six-day workweeks, Withycombe said. The Federal Aviation Administration acknowledged Wednesday that staffing levels are low at Los Angeles International Airport’s control tower but said an ongoing campaign to hire more controllers is expected to ease the strain. Controllers have drawn a connection between low staffing at the tower and potentially dangerous accidents at the airport. They have warned for years that the situation will worsen as an expected surge of retirements thins their ranks nationwide. The FAA estimates that it will have to recruit and train more than 15,000 new controllers in the coming decade to keep up with retirements. On Wednesday, the agency released an updated staffing plan that administrators said would meet the need for new controllers while better matching the work force to the workload. He said the FAA plans to send nine additional controllers to LAX this year, putting the tower at or above the upper range in the FAA goals. The goals were developed as part of a broader effort to cope with a wave of retirements that has been building for more than two decades. In 1981, President Reagan fired thousands of controllers who had walked off the job on strike. Most of today’s controllers were hired in the years that followed – and that means most are becoming eligible to retire in the next few years. The FAA has requested $15.9 million in the coming fiscal year to recruit and train new controllers, the Inspector General’s Office has estimated. That’s a small part of its budget request, which tops $14 billion. [email protected] (310) 543-6649 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!